Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

My Rival Slow Cooker has been sloughing off various plastic pieces, the last being one of its outside handles because it has an aluminum heating shell to case the earthen inside pot.

We tossed the aluminum outer shell.

So I need a new Slow Cooker. One with two settings. Any reccomendations? Size and shape would help, too.

And just to stir up the pot, what are your opinions of Crock Pot vs Slow Cooker?

Heh heh heh...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]My R...)
"And just to stir up the pot, what are your opinions of Crock Pot vs Slow Cooker?" - I just wish we could have one name for these darn things.

I have two slow cookers - one is a 4 quart and it's great for everyday things. Then I also have a huge one that is wonderful for big items/quantities.

The 4-qt. is from Walmart, no brand name on it except for a "(D)"

The large one (proabably about 6.5 qts.?)is an "Everstar" - never heard of it before, but it's a nice one, with a timer. Sure can't remember where I bought it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]My R...)
[quote
And just to stir up the pot, what are your opinions of Crock Pot vs Slow Cooker?

Heh heh heh...

Barbara

[/blockquote]

They are the same thing, CrockPot is a brand name. I've had so many over the years, one favorite was the West end with the aluminum crock-I could brown meat over my stove top. Currently using one of those and a Sunbeam, which has a ceramic insert and a temp probe- you can set your desired end temp and it switches to keep warm when temp is reached. This isn't helpful when cooking meat but very helpful when rewarming stews, soups or chilis, especially when frozen. If that isn't an issue, I'd look for one with the capacity you want, and 3 settings-keep warm, low and high.

Probably more than you wanted to know

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by pjcooks ([quote[br]And just t...)
I have three., well 4 if you count the mini that was included with the last one I bought.

Old one is a Rival - round pot and it has two settings, it still works. I bought a new oval Crock Pot brand one at Sam's because it had more settings - 4 plus warm. It cooks too hot, and so I don't like how it performs. I also have a roaster, I think it's a Rival. It's big and white and like you can find in every church kitchen. I use it for pulled pork mostly.

Cooks Illustrated recently rated this new Crock Pot as the best. I would trade in my others for this one, but it's a little expensive - $130!
[Image: SCVT650-PS_2.JPG]
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by HomeCulinarian (I have three.[img]/u...)
I have a brand new Crock Pot brand (looks to be the same as the one above shapewise) but the controls look a little different. It does have a timer and three temps (high, low, keep warm). I've used it a couple of times and works great! I also have an old smaller round Proctor Silex one I've had for 15 years that keeps right on working.

The new one we got from Costco - believe it was $49.00 and it came with a baby one as well.
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by HomeCulinarian (I have three.[img]/u...)
[Image: 1000947_XCP001_A_400.jpg]

This is the one we got. (Other than the locking lid) I love love love it. My old (30+ year old) crockpot died and we replaced it with this one before we moved into the motorhome. My only negative is that it's big (it's now living in the restaurant kitchen). I love the probe and the ability to program it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by Harborwitch ( [img]http://www.mei...)
I have one that CI recommended a few years back and I love it. It can be used on the stove top and then goes on the slow cooker base. I also like the shape. I've seared meat, cooked part way, put in fridge and continued the next day.
This is the one I have, though I lucked out and paid a lot less. [Image: 418SZW1BZRL.jpg]
West Bend 84866 6-Quart Versatility Slow Cooker with Glass Cover, Stainless
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by Cubangirl (I have one that CI r...)
Oh yes, my large one has the 3 settings also - forgot about the 'warm'. Plus, I do have a couple in the trailer, one so little I don't think I've ever tried using it and another that is probably about 2 quarts.

Alina, I like the idea of yours that can be used on or off the heating element. Never saw that before.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well the first thing I did was log into CI to see what they reviewed and came across this also! Wow! What a beauty!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Equipment Reccomendation - A New Slow Cooker by Cubangirl (I have one that CI r...)
Sweeeeeeet!! That's a great thing to be able to brown the meat in the same pot! I can't stand all the splattering on the stovetop.

Barbara