Substitution for Rum?
  Re: (...)
Has anyone had need to sub something (like a fruit salsa) for rum in any dish?

Rum extract has alcohol (my Capt. Jay can't have liquor) and the salsa is raw, so none of the alcohol will be cooked out. (I know all of it never does, I'm just saying this is a raw dish)

Wine, I don't think will cut it, maybe apple juice, at least that would had a little flavor. I'm stumped........

P.S. Capt. Jay brought us the most beautiful bunch of Halibut, smoked P.Cod collars, and a couple others. It's been so long! He was out fishing for 8 straight months, could not do that!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (Has anyone had need ...)
You're talking about a liquid to add to a fruit salsa? I would think any combo of citrus juices or pineapple juice would work.
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by Trixxee (You're talking about...)
There is already fruit/citrus juices in the dish, the rum just adds an additional flavor. I probably should have posted the recipe so you can see, it needs something.....

This is what I sent Iryna with the notes -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Salsa
1/2 medium fresh pineapple -- rind removed, cored and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper -- seeded and finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile -- seeded and finely chopped
1 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
-------
Swordfish
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons rum (if you don't want to use rum, you can buy rum extract in the spice section by the Vanilla extract) or You might also substitute apple juice for the rum, it would add a nice flavor.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
2 pounds swordfish steaks -- cut into 6 serving size pieces

In a medium bowl, mix all the salsa ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving time or up to 4 days.

Heat gas or charcoal grill. In shallow dish, mix pineapple juice, lime zest, lime juice, rum, oil and paprika. Place swordfish in dish; let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to marinate.

Place fish on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 8 to 12 minutes, turning once, until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve fish with salsa.

Tips: If you can’t get swordfish, try another firm-textured fish such as grouper, halibut, shark, or tuna.

You might also substitute apple juice for the rum, it would add a nice flavor.

Description:
"Tips: If you can't get swordfish, try another firm-textured fish such as grouper, halibut, shark, or tuna."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (There is already fru...)
Would honey make it too sweet?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (There is already fru...)
Cider? Or, if permitted, a little aged cider?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by pjcooks (Cider? Or, if permi...)
honey, I think might add a little too much sweetness. cider - would be good. thanks guys.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (honey, I think might...)
I think it would be great as is - just with a little citrus juice over it. I've made salsas like that many times and it was perfect.

I would never think to add alcohol or apple juice, cider, etc. But who knows, maybe I've been missing out all these years!
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by Trixxee (I think it would be ...)
Oh I agree Trixxee - it would be good with or without, this is just a version.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (Oh I agree Trixxee -...)
I aways use Cook's Thesaurus.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Substitution for Rum? by cjs (Oh I agree Trixxee -...)
Remember "Mr Roberts"? Scotch? Think rum!! No alcohol. One part coca cola--three parts apple juice--two parts spring water--1/2 part molasses---simmer and adjust ingredients--this is only a start.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".