Stuffed Peppers?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a recipe for stuffed peppers (can be stuffed with anything - I'm not picky) that they really like?
  Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Trixxee (Does anyone have a r...)
I was giving others a chance to respond before I jumped in, but phooey, they are taking their time.

Here's one that we really like -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef & Couscous Stuffed Peppers

1 T. chopped shallots
1 cup couscous (cooked with 1 1/4 c water + 1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with garlic & herbs
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. dried basil (or 1 tsp. fresh)
1/2 tsp. fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. fresh mint
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 large red bell peppers
1/2 lb. lean ground chuck, ground turkey or chicken
1/2 cup garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Lightly grease a baking dish large enough to hold the peppers snuggly. In a large bowl, combine the cooked couscous, tomatoes, beans, and seasonings; set aside. Cut the tops of the bell peppers off and remove seeds and membranes. Parboil 5 minutes; drain upside down on paper towels.

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add the beef and shallots and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Add the beef mixture to the couscous and toss to blend. Divide the couscous stuffing evenly between the four peppers; top with the feta cheese and place in the prepared baking dish. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bell peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can't remember if this is mine or I found it somewhere....sound familiar to anyone? huh.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Trixxee (Does anyone have a r...)
I usually make them when I have lots of leftover stuff. Last week I stuffed them with a combination of leftover, chili cheese grits/basmati rice/ground beef/beans.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Lorraine (I usually make them ...)
Sounds good guys - thanks! One market has all peppers on sale for 99 cents this week (including the usually pricey yellow and orange ones) so thought I'd take advantage and stuff some.
  Re: Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Trixxee (Sounds good guys - t...)
We stuff with sauteed ground beef and onions, with cooked long grain rice, diced tomatoes and herbs and bake in a marinara type sauce until peppers are done.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Old Bay (We stuff with sautee...)
Not sure how to reply here. I've never really used a recipe. I just brown ground beef or ground turkey, season it well, add some cooked rice and diced tomatoes, fill the peppers. Then, just pour some tomato sauce in and around the peppers and bake in the oven until done. These freeze well for later use, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Stuffed Peppers? by Mare749 (Not sure how to repl...)
Here are two favourites.

First, the Frugal Gourmet's Hungarian Stuffed Red Bell Peppers (you'll also need the Paprika Gravy that goes with it). There may seem to be a lot to them, but trust me: they are absolutely worth it!

From the Mexican side, instead, don't forget Chiles Rellenos:

Chiles Rellenos
]Makes 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 8 Large Poblano peppers
  • 1 Can (16 oz.) Tomatoes
  • 1 Small onion, chopped
  • 1 Teaspoon Instant beef bouillon granules
  • Dash of pepper
  • Dash ground cinnamon
  • 4 Cups Shredded Monterey jack or Cheddar cheese (1 pound)
  • 8 Egg yolks
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1/4 Cup All-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 8 Egg whites
  • Oil for frying
  • Cilantro
Instructions:
Roast the peppers:
  1. Broil peppers 2 inches from heat for about 15 minutes, turning often, until all sides are blistered.
  2. Place peppers into a paper bag or pot with lid.
  3. Let stand for about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
  4. Peel off the skins, remove the seeds and stems, leaving peppers whole with one slit on the side.
Make the tomato sauce:
  1. In a blender, combine undrained tomatoes, onion, bouillon granules, pepper and cinnamon.
  2. Cover and blend until smooth.
  3. Transfer to a saucepan.
  4. Heat to boiling.
  5. Reduce to a simmer.
  6. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
  7. Cover and keep warm while preparing peppers.
Prepare the peppers:
  1. Stuff each pepper with 1/2 cup of the cheese and set aside.
  2. Slightly beat egg yolks and water.
  3. Add flour and salt.
  4. Beat 6 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
  5. Separately, Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  6. Fold yolks into whites.
Cook the peppers:
  1. In a large heavy skillet or electric fry pan, heat 1/2 inch of oil to 375 degrees.
  2. For each serving spoon about 1/3 cup egg batter into hot oil, spreading batter into the shape of the pepper. (Fry 3 or 4 at a time or as many will fit in the pan, with room to turn easily.)
  3. As the batter begins to set, (be sure it starts setting), gently top each mound with stuffed polbano.
  4. Cover with another 1/3 cup of batter.
  5. Continue cooking 2 or 3 minutes more, until the undersides are brown. Don't rush them, but be careful they don't burn. (They will be nice and brown.)
  6. Carefully turn them over.
  7. Brown second side.
  8. Drain on paper towels.
  9. Keep warm in 300 degree oven while preparing remainder.
  10. Serve with tomato sauce.
  11. Garnish with cilantro.
Again: every bit worth it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?