Sunday Dinner, 2/19???
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

I'm making an old favorite - Grilled Halibut in Sweet Chili Thai Sauce. Can't remember where it came from.... Not sure what we're having with it. green salad? get back to regular eating.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19??? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We are headed to the most beautiful race track ever and will have a late lunch there. They are also having a food truck festival for Mardi Gras so we might be eating some ragin' cajun stuff.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/1/9?? by Trixxee (We are headed to the...)
Going back to another old favorite - the Brown Sugar Bourbon ribs. Not sure what's going with them yet. Probably that wedge salad with BC, and corn with peppers & onions. Busily rocking the Boss's food world!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/1/9?? by Harborwitch (Going back to anothe...)
Uh, what's with the date?

Keep it up, Sharon!

We're doing our usual burgers and dogs with sweet potato fries.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/1/9?? by Gourmet_Mom (Uh, what's with the ...)
What's you point, Daphne???

Sharon, I have ribs in the freezer......... haven't done that one for a long time.

The sauce that I'm using for my halibut is the one we both liked so much (Sharon) and you used it with chicken also.
I made extra, so in a couple days I'm going to use it for chix.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19?? by cjs (What's you point, Da...)
We're having chicken stuffed with fontina, boursin and basil. Alongside I'm planning brown rice pilaf and broccoli.

That halibut sounds wonderful, Jean! Is the recipe around here somewhere?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19?? by karyn (We're having chicken...)
Karyn - here's the recipe - it's on a long thread. I'll post it with my notes.

------------
I apologize that I can't give the source for this recipe - one of the big drawbacks of not being able to import recipes to MC the way I used to.

I had two pcs. of Halibut yesterday, so did each one differently and this was one of the ways. What a great flavor! I'm anxious to have it again with a veggie stir-fry, bet it would really be good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce

2 halibut steaks or fillets -- OR other type of fish (2 to 4)
MARINADE/SAUCE:
1/2 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (available by the bottle at most large grocery stores -- and all Asian/Chinese food stores)
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
6 Tbsp. soy sauce -- (or 3/8 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander -- (1/4 to 1/3)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic -- OR 1 Tbsp. bottled pureed garlic (4 to 6)
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 1/2 Tbsp. white sugar)

1.Combine all marinade/sauce ingredients together in a bowl, stirring well to dissolve the sugar.

2.Rinse the fish and pat dry. Place in a flat baking dish (like a glass lasagna-type casserole dish), and pour 1/3 of the marinade/sauce over. Reserve the rest for later.

3.Turn the fish several times, making sure all surfaces are covered in sauce. Allow to marinate at least 10 minutes, or up to 24 hours in advance (covered and refrigerated) if preparing for a dinner party.

4.Prepare the grill by brushing on a little oil - this will help prevent sticking. If using a fish cage to barbecue, be sure to also oil the interior surfaces of the cage.

5.Grilling Tips: Grill the fish for at least 3 minutes per side before attempting to turn it - this will also prevent sticking. To check whether your fish is cooked: Insert a fork into the thickest part of the steak and gently pull the meat apart. If the inner flesh is still translucent and dense (not flaky), the fish still requires a few more minutes of cooking time. When done, the inner flesh will be opaque and will flake easily.

6.To serve, warm up the extra marinade/sauce you reserved earlier. You needn't boil it - just warm it up (5 minutes over medium heat is enough). Serve the fish hot off the grill with the extra sauce as a dip on the side. Or, plate up the fish and spoon the sauce over. If desired, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh coriander and serve with jasmine-scented rice. ENJOY

NOte:

This Thai recipe for grilled halibut is easy and delicious. Other types of fish work with this recipe as well, whether steaks or fillets, sole or salmon. Grilled fish isn't as difficult as it seems, especially halibut, which cook easily on the grill without falling apart. The Thai marinade is put together in a matter of minutes, and as a bonus, it doubles as a glaze/dipping sauce. This fish recipe makes a quick and easy meal for everyday, but is also elegant enough to serve at your next barbecue or cookout. Enjoy!

reviewer: “I made this for dinner and marinated the fresh halibut for approximately 4 hours. I gave some of the marinade to a friend who marinated his fish overnight with much better results. Mine was good but his was exceptional. I also added fresh ginger to recipe. I also used some of the marinade as a sauce for a stir fry with celery, fresh beansprouts, mushrooms and bamboo shoots. I washed green leaf lettuce and wrapped pieces of the fish and the stir fry together. This is my kind of food

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"

and here is the thread -
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...true#Post120265

This is sure a nice dish and healthy to boot. Sharon used the marinade for chicken also, I haven't done that yet but will in a couple of days.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19?? by karyn (We're having chicken...)
From the new Cuisine cookbook 'Quick & Easy menus', I'm making Taco soup with mojo sauce. For dessert it's Panna cotta with blackberry coulis (Nov. 2000).
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19?? by cjs (Karyn - here's the r...)
Thanks so much! It's been copied and saved for when things dry out around here.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/19?? by cjs (What's you point, Da...)
It smells so good in here.

That sauce was sooooo good on chicken Jean. My "drool" glands have been working overtime today. I somehow seem to be in a serious FOOD mood.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!