Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

My turkey thigh is thawed, so it's roasted turkey, B.B. & Corn Patties and chicken gravy. Now, that's a combo.

Having a great time - the weather has done a 180!! 2 gorgeous days and last night the winds came up and it was rock and roll time. No way in hell would I get on a ferry in this, but it's still sailing.... Barf time.

But, we're roasty toasty - down to 3 bottles of wine, so may have to venture out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm stealing an idea from The Gazebo restaurant on Maui. Pork fried rice topped with fried eggs, soy sauce and scallions. And I'm picking up the rice from our favorite "good" Chinese restaurant.

I hate to sound like a broken record but 7th grade is killing me. Besides all the regular homework Michael needs direction on he has to do a pop up book on the Renaissance Era (pain in the rear), a travel brochure dating back to Pangaea, a persuasive speech on what is better - McDonald's or In-and-Out or on School Uniforms (whichever topic gets approved today) and a speech on Queen Elizabeth, all due on Monday. In other words, I have to keep dinners quite simple for the next few school nights and keep a bottle of wine handy.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by Trixxee (I'm stealing an idea...)
Wow, must say tho, Trixxee, for all the trouble this causes for your family, I'm really impressed with his school. (and, maybe you will be also - in hindsight...down the road.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by cjs (Wow, must say tho, T...)
I'm very impressed with his school - have been since the day we walked in. I know we are fortunate - many parents are disappointed in their children's school and might even wish for more homework. I think because the trimester is ending next week and Open House is right around the corner (lots of projects will need to be displayed) that we're just crammed right now.

But no one will be happier than Michael when the whole school gets that week of no homework for reaching their Jog-a-thon goal. Well, except for me.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by Trixxee (I'm very impressed w...)
What's the jog-a-thon, Trixxee? I'm more than impressed with Michael's school. It sure would be nice if all the projects/reports weren't due on the same day though. You're going to need a break as much as Michael! Treat yourselves to something fun.

Lorraine got me in the mood for soup, so I made beef barley soup and 18 hour bread. It's funny, my mom used to call that type of a meal "poor man's food" but it's comfort food for us and probably for a lot of other people. It's amazing what restaurants and deli's charge for a quart of soup.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by Mare749 (What's the jog-a-tho...)
From the newest issue- Pork Satay with teriyaki sauce and the Pineapple rice that goes with it.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by losblanos1 (From the newest issu...)
You know, i'm impressed with the school, but no way would you see that kind of homework here. I can't get them to define 10 vocabulary words in a week! It makes me CRAZY!

I want to make that one, Blane. I'll be interested in what you think.

Last day of the pay period and dinner is reflective....LOL! Chili dogs with corn on the cob.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by Gourmet_Mom (You know, i'm impres...)
Tuscan vege soup with salad and bread. From USA weekend magazine.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by HomeCulinarian (Tuscan vege soup wit...)
I put a big chuck roast in the crockpot with some homemade BBQ sauce. So it's pulled BBQ Beef Sandwiches with a tangy slaw.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 2/28?? by Mare749 (What's the jog-a-tho...)
Quote:

What's the jog-a-thon, Trixxee?

Maryann - it's basically where the kids get a pledge sheet and ask their parents, friends, relatives, etc. to sponsor them jogging one mile during this school-wide event. You can pledge $5, $10, anything. Michael collected $70. (I wanted to make sure he hit the $50 benchmark for the no homework week). There were different prize levels including going to Knott's Berry Farm during a school day. The student who collected the most $$ gets to be Principal for a Day. It was kind of cute when the principal announced it over the loudspeaker. "I look forward to working with you". LOL.

In total the school collected $16,000 and that will go towards some laptops for the classrooms (though I don't know how far $16,000 goes - hopefully schools get an academic discount or something). The school budgets here are so tight that there isn't any room for new stuff unless they have successful fundraisers.

All contributions are tax-deductible.