Fun Food Show
  Re: (...)
I just love going to these shows. This was a large one in Bethesda. We found a new Lamb company, 2 new bread companies (they gave us some great samples), and 2 new cheese folks. One of the cheese reps lives about 10m miles from us, so said he would drop off some samples. Left with two large bags of samples, everything from pan sprays, bread, lots of spices, sauces, rubs, bread coatings, the Luzianne folks gave us a box of their large Ice Tea bags to try. From there we went to the Sysco Retail store to stock up. Nothing like walking around the Sysco store still wearing your US Foods name tags. From there we went to Ollie's and stocked up on lots of stuff for dirt cheap. Only bought two cookbooks, but they both look great. It was a fun day.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Fun Food Show by Lorraine (I just love going to...)
"Only bought two cookbooks, but they both look great. It was a fun day" - and those two books would be?????????????

Sounds fun, Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by cjs ("Only bought two coo...)
OH how nice, sounds like a mini vacation. What's good at Ollies? We have one here, haven't checked it out that much tho'
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by farnfam (OH how nice, sounds ...)
WOW! What an incredible day! Thanks for sharing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! What an incred...)
Quote:

What's good at Ollies

This time they had lots of sheets, so bought a few sets. I always buy my Sea Salt there. This time they had Sea salt Flakes, had never seen them, so had to buy some. I needed lots of rugs, so bought a bunch of cheap ones. They had a great selection of huge flower pots, great prices. I bought lots of things like garbage bags, cleaners etc. I love the place, and just found out there is one over the mountain from us.

Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Sounds like a fun day, Lorraine. How long will you be away?

We have Ollie's here. You have to check back often because the merchandise is constantly changing. Sometimes you can pick up some great bargains. They have a huge selection of books for kids as well as adults and I've purchased gift wrap items on occasion.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Mare749 (Sounds like a fun da...)
I have never heard of this place, Ollie's. Big surprise.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Gourmet_Mom (I have never heard o...)
Maryann, we only stayed overnight, so we we are home. You're right, have to check it often. What is there one week is gone the next. You never know what treasures you will find.
  Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Lorraine (Maryann, we only sta...)
Quote:

and those two books would be????

The best is " Recipes from the Old Mill, Baking with Whole Grains", by Sarah E Myers and Mary Beth Lind.They are two sisters, whose father started a grist mill (which they still operate ) in West Virginia. I made Pumpkin Cornbread from it yesterday (subbed Sweet Potatoes), no white flour in it. It was great. The other is one on berries, but haven't had a chance to go thru it.

Re: Re: Fun Food Show by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
We hosted a "mini" US food show the first year we were open, something like 60 vendors. OMG, ran my butt off, I never figure out how these people do this week after week and are so blasted unprepared. They needed bowls to put their product in, tongs, creamer for the coffee salesperson, knives to prepare their food, staples, more copies of the flyers for their product, batteries, the list was endless. We were doing a cooking demo offsite that afternoon and had all of our stuff packed and ready to load and somebody helped themselves to Chelsea's Shun knife out of the box, thought she was going to come unglued.

We did end up with some of the product that wasn't used, but not as much as I thought we would have gotten given the work we went through. We had cleared out one entire side of the walk-in cooler for them to use, plus they needed freezer space, plus took over both kitchens entirely for most of the day and left us with the entire mess to clean up after.

It was a learning experience - we had to beef up all of the wiring in the banquet room and dining room to accomodate the heat lamps. They insisted on all the tables being skirted, and did not want plastic, so we had to rent skirting for a bunch of tables. I made a mental note to look now - EVERY food show I have gone to since has had plastic skirting.

And to top it off - they didn't do it again last year! Now they do a show in Pittsburgh in May and October, neither of which I can attend.

It was interesting, unfortunately I didn't have much of an opportunity to spend looking at the product, we were so busy babysitting the vendors!