Swiss Chard???
  Re: (...)
It's amazing what you will try when you are just cooking for yourself. In this case a combination of rustic Southern USA and French/Italian smugness produced an amazing side dish. Strip the greens from the stems and wash as usual--chop the best stems and saute in bacon grease until bright red but still crisp-tender--I then added about 1T of truffle cream of balsamic and stirred to combine--added the wet greens, covered and steamed, removing lid from time to time and tossing greens, stems, grease, and balsamic until the greens were crisp tender--delicious with my seared strip steak last nite. The martini butter was just right on the steak!! Very satisfying evening.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Swiss Chard??? by Old Bay (It's amazing what yo...)
OH Bill, that sounds so good!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by farnfam (OH Bill, that sounds...)
I've just not ever done much with Swiss Chard - should recify that. Sounds tasty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by cjs (I've just not ever d...)
That sounds delicious!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by cjs (I've just not ever d...)
I love it--holds its shape and texture much better than other bitter greens, and tastes 100 times better than collards. I love it with a steak, mushrooms, and jalapeno/poblano cheese grits.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by Old Bay (I love it--holds its...)
Thanks Bill. Swiss Chard is one of those vegetables that always look so pretty and I had no clue what to do with it. Now I can't wait to try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by Mare749 (Thanks Bill. Swiss C...)
I love red swiss chard with shallots and balsamic. Very pretty on the plate and chard is super nutritious.
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by Trixxee (I love red swiss cha...)
I might have to go for this!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by BarbaraS (I might have to go f...)
I rarely see it around here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Swiss Chard??? by Trixxee (I love red swiss cha...)
We love Swiss chard. I planted it at the Inn when he was still there. The nice thing is, when you cut it, it grows back. While it's great on it's own (how Bill cooked it), I sub it for spinach in a lot of recipes. It also goes into lots of soups and stews. We couldn't find grape leaves to stuff for an event, so used the chard. Worked well. This year I have ordered red, yellow, and green seeds. Looks great on the plate. I think Maryann's deers will love it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.