Cabbage!!!
  Re: (...)
It's 25 cents a lb here this week. I think we need to have everyone post there best cabbage recipes, because I see lots of it in my future!!!. And we love it!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Cabbage!!! by Lorraine (It's 25 cents a lb h...)
It's about a buck a pound here!

One of our golfers said to core the head, fill the hole with chopped bacon, wrap it in more bacon & foil and put it on the grill for about 45 minutes. Hmmmm. Iteresting.

I love it in a wine and cheese sauce with a bit of nutmeg.

Shoot - I love cabbage any way I can get it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by Harborwitch ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
We love galumpies, and that braised/broiled recipe with the lemon juice is to die for, and of course LOVE making sauerkraut in the jar thingy.....oh and squeak and bubble is a good one. Sheesh, guess we really do love cabbage around here
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by farnfam (We love galumpies, a...)
I just shred it, add some shredded fennel, salt it and let it sit for about 35-40 minutes tossing it every now and then. The salt cooks it, but it doesn't get over done. Depending on how much salt I use I might pull half out and rinse it. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and eat
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by DFen911 (I just shred it, add...)
Bubble & Squeek - yes!
Coleslaw, of course
Beerox (Bierox...so many spellings), page 98 Journey HOme
sauteed up with onions and garlic and add to corned beef (or pastrami) pizza
braised
Oh, remember our old conversation (C2C) about Zeppole (with anchovies)?
a stir fry with Asian sauce and lots of veggies.

This list could be ridiculously long 'cause we love cabbage and I add it to so many dishes that don't even call for it.
Gotta say, tho - I love it as a condiment to fish tacos, however we season it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by cjs (Bubble & Squeek - ye...)
I'll have to google Galumpies. Would love to try the Beerox. We had stewed cabbage last night, made with a local country ham (Kyte's). tonight I'll try Denise's recipe, minus the fennel (can only get it at specialty stores in C'Ville). Thanks for the ideas!
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by Lorraine (I'll have to google ...)
I use it in the pretty standard ways - with corned beef, slaw for tacos, thinly sliced & sauteed with asian foods, thinly sliced raw for chinese chicken salad.

Our favorite little Thai place adds a lot of cabbage to their coconut soups - that's really good.
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by Trixxee (I use it in the pret...)
Galumpies you roll up a sausage meat rice mix in cabbage leaf and steam in chic broth with a little brown sugar till done
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by farnfam (Galumpies you roll u...)
Thanks, Cis!
  Re: Re: Cabbage!!! by Lorraine (Thanks, Cis!...)
Lorraine's got me going now - I have my cabbage and since I just made pastrami, I really don't feel like doing a corned beef now also, so I'm making Irish/Jewish (I think) Beirox for St. Paddy's day. I'll miss my soda bread tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com