Check out the sprouts!
  Re: (...)
Started these Monday night and harvested today. It's called a Zesty mix because it contains crimson clover, fenugreek, and radish. Really fresh tasting on a sandwich or in salads and LOADED with nutrients. Great way to satisfy that urge to be growing something too...

[Image: FoodPix013.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Check out the sprouts! by Mare749 (Started these Monday...)
darn, haven't gotten started yet - looks great, Maryann.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by cjs (darn, haven't gotten...)
Cool! Is the fenugreek easy to sprout? How is the flavour, especially in comparison or contrast to the seeds?

Wonder if the seeds I get here would sprout. May have to try this.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by labradors (Cool! Is the fenugr...)
Those grew in less than a week? Wow! I love sprouts of any kind on sandwiches.
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by Trixxee (Those grew in less t...)
How are you growing these? Are they hydroponic or in soil?
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by DFen911 (How are you growing ...)
Very cool, Maryann! Get back on here and answer these questions. Inquiring minds need to know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by Gourmet_Mom (Very cool, Maryann! ...)
Since I can't find my mesh cover, I ordered it this a.m., so I'll be able to get started again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by cjs (Since I can't find m...)
Please check out this really fun website: www.sproutpeople.org. There is a wealth of information on this site about growing your own sprouts and micro-greens.
They also have sprouting supplies. If all you need is the plastic lid, they are relatively cheap on amazon.

To grow sprouts, you need a 1 qt. mason jar, a mesh screen lid, the seeds, and water. You can find seeds to sprout online or in health food type stores. Ron bought mine at the Mustard Seed Market, and I will be glad to mail some to any of you who want to try this.

[Image: sproutsseeds.jpg]

1.Pour about 2 inches of water into a very clean mason jar, add 2 Tablespoons of seeds and put on the lid. Swish it around real good, then let it sit for 12 hours on your kitchen counter.

2.Drain off the water, and add fresh cool water to fill the jar and drain. I like to do this a second time. Then after you have drained off as much water as you can, turn the jar on it's side and let the seeds stick to the glass.

3. Rinse and drain 2 times a day for 5-6 days.

4. Dump the spouts into a large mixing bowl and fill the bowl with water. Gently separate the sprouts a bit and swish around. This will make the brown hulls float to the top and you can easily skim them off with a spoon. You don't have to do this step, but your sprouts will look so much nicer.

5. Remove the sprouts with your hands and set them in a mesh strainer to lose the excess water before storing. I let mine sit for a couple hours because they will last longer if they are not soggy. Then put into a clean container and refrigerate. Best to use within two weeks.

6. Great on salads, any kind of burger type sandwich, cold meat sandwiches, and in pitas. There are all kinds of recipes on the website.

[Image: Startingsprouts.jpg]

Labs, I wish I could answer your question, but I can't really tell which of the sprouts is the fenugreek and I don't know whether I have ever tasted the seeds. The sprouts have a nice fresh taste and you can really taste the radish in this particular mix.
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by Mare749 (Please check out thi...)
How fun, Maryann! Thanks for the info. I will have to get this together before Easter so I can have some yummy lunches while I'm off!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Check out the sprouts! by Gourmet_Mom (How fun, Maryann! T...)
How did yours get so leafy? I would think that if you keep rinsing and shaking twice a day in the jar you'd end up damaging the new leaves. I watched his videos and he seems to eat them as soon as they start to sprout without any leaves. Yours are so pretty.