Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi)
  Re: (...)
We had a hot dog last night topped with a kim chi mixture that was just delicious. I got the idea from a blog "Steamy Kitchen" and it was just 1/2 cup Kimchi, thinly sliced, 2 tsps. each: honey and rice vinegar.

So good - so got on my M.C. thinking I had saved a recipe at some point for making kim chi, but evidently I hadn't. Had lots of copied threads from C2C where we talked about it and of course Billy loved it and we were intending on making it one day....

But, looking at one of the recipes I do have in M.C. I found one "HAWAIIAN STYLE MISOYAKI BUTTERFISH WITH KIM CHEE LIME BUTTER SAUCE" - a Roy Yamaguchi recipe that calls for kim chi 'sauce.' Anyone know what that might be?

Also, any good ideas for using more kim chi??

googled "kim chi sauce" and got some really tasty ideas....

TERIYAKI FRIES $2
Freshly made fries smothered with our own teriyaki sauce. Or get it without the sauce (For Haoles and the French)with our garlic or kim chi sauce. From a Hawaiian restaurant menu. sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by cjs (We had a hot dog las...)
As much as we love Asian food, do you know we still haven't tried kimchee! They sell huge jars of the stuff at Asia Foods, and it looks so spicy hot I didn't figure we could handle eating it. Guess we'll have to give it a try.

No idea what kimchee sauce would be, but I'll look for that next time too. It will be fun to hear what experiments you try, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Mare749 (As much as we love A...)
Jean, my search in mastercook brought up this recipe which sounded rather interesting:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Korean Potato Pancakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 egg
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
vegetable oil -- as needed
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic -- (1 to 2)
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 pound frozen shredded hash brown potatoes -- thawed
1/2 cup finely chopped drained kimchi (Korean-style pickled cabbage)

In bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients; set aside. Squeeze out excess water from potatoes. Place potatoes in large bowl. Add kimchi, egg, flour and onions; mix well to coat potatoes. In non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat oil. Measure 1/4 cup potato mixture; press firmly into a ball. Flatten in hand to form 1/2-inch pancakes; place in pan. Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. To serve, spoon 1 teaspoon sauce over each pancake.

Source:
"United States Potato Board"
Maryann

Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Mare749 (Jean, my search in m...)
This is copied - it does sound good. I even found a kimchee pizza, believe it or not.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Mare749 (As much as we love A...)
I saw a large jar of Kimchee in the refer section of Costco today. Never used the product, but I love saurkraut--any resemblance? How about the Costco product?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Old Bay (I saw a large jar of...)
I'm curious too, Jean. Can you describe what it tastes like? And, it is painfully hot?
Maryann

Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Mare749 (I'm curious too, Jea...)
William really likes it, but I didn't try it when we got it a couple of years ago.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by Gourmet_Mom (William really likes...)
We really like it here. James and some of his work buddies eat it right out of the jar. I think it's to hot for that tho. That's regular KimChee Im talking about. KimChee sauce sounds good to me.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by farnfam (We really like it he...)
The Kimchee we bought is Seoul brand and the ingredients are: Napa cabbage, Chili pepper, Carrots, Garlic, Green onion, Sugar, Onion, Baby shrimp, Ginger, Salt. (notice salt is last ingredient? a good thing ) also, it notes no MSG.

This that we have is not too hot, and I just noticed there is no vinegar listed, but it has a flavor of a pickled product - a tad. It really is quite tasty straight from the jar. I'm sure we could find different heats, but this is what was available around here.

Here are a couple of recipes to compare -

My Kimchi Recipe
How to make kimchi at home

"This is my Kimchi recipe (sometimes called Kimchee Recipe). This is a simple step by step guide for making Kimchi. This Type is known as Mat Kimchi, and is made using Chinese Cabbages. I plan to add some more kimchi recipes soon, so check back soon and please tell me about how you get on at the bottom of this page.

Hopefully you will be willing to give this a go at home and enjoy some real korean kimchi."

How to make kimchi, the ingredients used for this recipe are:

2 large Chinese Cabbages
230g rock salt
Water

Kimchi Sauce:

10 tablespoon of fish sauce
10 tablespoon of red pepper powder
1 onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 oriental pear
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
small touch of ginger
4 spring onion

Start by Cutting the Chinese Cabbages in to chunks, and then soak in plenty of water and add about 180g of salt. Leave this to soak for about 4-5 hours. I use a tray from my freezer as you can see from the picture.

To create the sauce put all the ingredients in a blender except the spring onions, blend until quite fine, and slice the spring onions in to chunks and add to the mixture.

Return the drained cabbage pieces to the tray and add the Kimchi sauce, mix by hand until it is all mixed together, Taste and it should be reasonably salty, add up to a further 50g of salt if required.

Finally put the Kimchi in to some jars, leave in the fridge for a week, and it is ready to eat. The Kimchi will keep for at least 6-12 months probably longer.

Over time the flavour becomes more sour, if it becomes to sour to eat on its own use the Kimchi to make soups or stews as the soured Kimchi will add more flavour to these dishes. It is common in South Korea to make soups and stews with older Kimchi.

It can be eaten raw as a side-dish, or added to soups and other Korean dishes that are available on this site.

Read more: http://www.easykoreanfood.com/Kimchi-Rec...z1qEMpEx2N
-----------------
and here is a link with pictures for another -

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-M...-Kim-Chee/

----------------
As much as Roy loves it, I'm sure I'll be making it soon. I'm going to look through my cookbooks also, probably have a couple versions in one of them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kimchee (Kim Chee/Kim Chi) by cjs (The Kimchee we bough...)
Came on to search if anyone had asked for or had a tried & true recipe for Kimchi…. and sure ‘nuf I had in ’08.

Bringing to the top to see if anyone has made it since this thread. I still have not, but want to play with a pork belly pizza with kimchi……
www.achefsjourney.com