Trader Joes
  Re: (...)
TJ is putting in three stores in the Houston area, one 13,500 sq ft store near us. What do you all say makes them different from others like, say Whole Foods, World Market, Costco? Do they require membership?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Trader Joes by Old Bay (TJ is putting in thr...)
No membership. I'd say it's the way I compare Portland to San Francisco - Portland is a beautiful smaller version of 'the city'.

I love Trader Joe's for their uniqueness, also - they have some great store brand items.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Trader Joes by cjs (No membership. I'd s...)
Their prices on produce, dairy and pantry items are much better than the regular grocery store. Don't have to buy in bulk like Costco.
  Re: Re: Trader Joes by Trixxee (Their prices on prod...)
TJ's has a very good price on dried fruits and nuts, and they are always nice and fresh. They claim to not use GMO's in any of their house name items. I have tried several and they have been good quality as well.

Although we use very little in the way of frozen foods, everything that I've ever tried from TJ's has been surprisingly good. Best of all, the staff is very friendly and usually knowledgeable about the products. No matter what you inquire about, they will offer to open up that item for sampling. They have a table set up for just that purpose.

The wine they carry is very inexpensive, but so far, we haven't been enamored with any of it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Trader Joes by Mare749 (TJ's has a very good...)
Oh Maryann, ask your TJs if they carry Trader Joe-san's Sparkling Sake. It's wonderful with Asian foods.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Trader Joes by cjs (Oh Maryann, ask your...)
I will. Thanks, Jean!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."