Kim Chee - Aficionados
  Re: (...)
I saw this recipe from an Hawaiian site and wonder if you all who are more familiar with Kim Chee can tell if this sounds like the real deal??

Chili Pickled Cabbage – Kim Chee – Hawaiian recipe

2 lb Chinese Cabbage
2 ts Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger
1 tb Salt
1/2 c Light Soy Sauce
2 tb Chopped Green Onion
1/2 c White Vinegar
2 ts Crushed Garlic
2 ts Sugar Or More To Taste
1 tb Chili Powder
Sesame Oil

Chop the cabbage coarsely and place in a glass dish. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 3 to 4 hours; the cabbage will wilt. Mash with the fingers until the cabbage is still softer, then drain off excess liquid and add the remaining ingredients except the sesame oil.

Transfer to a large glass jar, seal and leave in a cool place for at least 24 hours before using. It will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.

Sprinkle with a few drops of sesame oil before using.

-----
Roy just fell in love with the jar I bought (he doesn't remember eating it before....getting as bad as me. ) Thought I'd give it a try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Kim Chee - Aficionados by cjs (I saw this recipe fr...)
We still haven't tried it, but it's on the list for when we get back from vacation.

This recipe sounds more like something I would try. The other recipe that you posted sounded hot, hot, hot!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Kim Chee - Aficionados by Mare749 (We still haven't tri...)
Chinese cabbage? Bok choy?

I agree with Maryann. This sounds more like it, but I'll have to ask William to be sure. He's the one who ate it. Although, he'd probably like the hot one. I want to think there was a hot and not hot variety available. I'll consult him tomorrow and let you know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.