Fiddlehead Ferns???
  Re: (...)
I found out today that our new food vendor had wonderful goodies - ramps, baby Chioga beets, and fiddlehead ferns. I've had the beets (and LOVE them) but I'm wondering - what are fiddlehead ferns like - do they taste like 'anything' else? Should I try them?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Harborwitch (I found out today th...)
I'd buy them in a heartbeat! We used to pick them in Quebec. they remind me a bit of asparagus. We used to wash them well in cold water to get rid of any grit, them blanch and shock them. I like them sauteed in butter and a bit of lemon juice. Some restaurants used to serve them with hollandaise. They are great in a stirfrys, or in a creamy pasta sauce. A friend of mine used to pickle them. The growing season can be very short, (depending on the weather), so we would buy/pick whatever we could and freeze them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Lorraine (I'd buy them in a he...)
I had them once long time ago, but have never fixed them myself. They were part of a salad and very tasty. Quick cooking as Lorraine mentioned.

Just looked them up in FLC - their flavor is a cross between asparagus-green bean-okra.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by cjs (I had them once long...)
I think I'll have her get me a pound. I'll have to watch the flyers that the FSA guy brings in - beautiful goodies, she won't buy them, but I can.

Thanks - Lorraine and Jean, as usual the best info!
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Harborwitch (I think I'll have he...)
I think the season is about three weeks, so hurry.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Old Bay (I think the season i...)
We have those growing in the woods. What are they supposed to look like when they're ready for picking? I would love to try some
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by farnfam (We have those growin...)
It's the Ostrich Ferns you want. There are two different kinds that grew in Quebec, one not edible. That would be the one that I picked two bags of. The head should be tightly curled, and break off about one to one and a half inches of the stem. If you google it, you should get some good results as to what to look for.
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Lorraine (It's the Ostrich Fer...)
These will be from our food service vendor. Would a pound serve 2?
  Re: Re: Fiddlehead Ferns??? by Harborwitch (These will be from o...)
A lb will serve two of me.