Cake Pans
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

What cake pans do you recommend? Hubby's BD is coming up and I need new pans.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Cake Pans by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]What...)
I like to go to Wilton's stores for cake pans, they are great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by cjs (I like to go to Wilt...)
Let's see if I've got this straight. It's your hubby's B'day and you are giving him cake pans because you need new ones? Or are going to bake him a cake?
I use the 'Good Cook' brand, they're non-stick and have worked well for me, but I must confess, I don't bake often enough to have any expertise.
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by cjs (I like to go to Wilt...)
Jean,

What color are your pans? I think what my problem was, was that my cake pans were dark and they overcooked the cakes. They were also supposed to be non-stick and that didn't happen.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]What co...)
Yeah isn't that strange about the color of the cake pan having something to do with the darkness of the cake?
And glass pans are supposed to meet lighter cakes too
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by farnfam (Yeah isn't that stra...)
Yeah Cis, I read that too. And too late after I bought them! This is for a chocolate cake and I always buy SoftasSilk Cake Flour, and the cakes always turn out dense without any fluffiness.

Of course, it could be I make 4 batches of icing and that may compress the cakes layers, but I doubt it. I've always been dissatisfied with the cake tins I bought.

I need to buy good pans. I think Wilton's is the way to go.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by BarbaraS (Yeah Cis, I read tha...)
I have lots of cake pans, but the go-to pans are the Wiltons, they're light colored and the sides are higher than normal, great for slicing layers.

Have fun!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by pjcooks (I have lots of cake ...)
What PJ said and since they are not nonstick, be sure to cut rounds of parchment paper to line the bottoms. Works great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by cjs (What PJ said and sin...)

I really like my Wiltons cake pans - they are so nice and heavy and always

make a great cake.
marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Cake Pans by mjkcooking ([br]I really like my...)
Barb, maybe it's just me, but I've noticed cake flour, being so fine, can make it dense. I think someone told me once to mix in a little regular flour.....just sayin
Cis
Empress for Life