What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

We're having grilled chicken with succatash.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
It's cold and rainy here. Ron came down with a whopping cold the last day of vacation and still can't shake it, so I'm thinking a pot of soup. Looking through Cuisine's "Splendid Soups" and it's hard to decide. So many good ones.

FYI: my birthday dinner review is due on Monday. There is still time to add it to your weekend menu!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by Mare749 (It's cold and rainy ...)
Hope Ron feels better soon, Maryann. There was supposed to be a "Cruise In" antique car show at the winery today, but it is pouring rain. No one will take there cars out in this weather. So, we have lots of Pork BBQ, baked beans and slaw. i guess we'll feed it to the staff, and us. Any close by??
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by Lorraine (Hope Ron feels bette...)
Well, Piddle, Lorraine~ wish we were closer. Hope Ron shakes the cold after some good soup. (there sure are a lot of good soups in that book, isn't there.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by cjs (Well, Piddle, Lorrai...)
Filets en Croute with Bearnaise sauce.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by BarbaraS (Filets en Croute wit...)
Maryann's birthday dinner is on the menu for today.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by farnfam (Maryann's birthday d...)
Hope Ron shakes that cough (it took me two months and a trip to Hawaii to shake mine). I have to think mine was allergy related.

I just threw some baby back ribs in the slow cooker with a dry rub. I can already smell the "smokehouse maple" part of it. Will finish them on the grill.

And something we've not done before - grilled potatoes. Need to find the method on how to do them (I assume I have to parboil them first).
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by Trixxee (Hope Ron shakes that...)
Glad you're better now, Trixxee. A trip to Hawaii could probably cure just about anything! Poor Ron picked up this cold the last day of our cruise and still hasn't shaken it. The doctor said he developed a pretty good case of bronchitis and put him on antibiotics, so I'm hoping it won't take 8 weeks to clear up. Although, it would be a great reason to go to Hawaii.

I decided to make Italian Wedding Soup, one of Ron's favorites.

Lorraine, can you still have the drive in car show tomorrow, or are you doing brunch at the winery? It's suppose to clear up tomorrow and be a gorgeous day, at least here.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by Mare749 (Glad you're better n...)
Since I got mired in phone calls, this morning, by the time I was ready to eat breakfast, it was brunch.

Tried something that was mentioned in a PlateOnline article:

[Image: webst8002.jpg]
Quote:

...The best bite at a recent avocado-themed breakfast held at Ina’s in Chicago was almost too pretty to eat. To do so, we had to break through a perfectly cooked egg that rested neatly inside a halved avocado—a simple but fresh presentation that justified chef-owner Ina Pinkney’s nickname, the “breakfast queen.” Pinkney halved an avocado, scooped out the middle and sliced off a bit of the bottom to keep it flat on the plate, and then cracked an egg inside. She then simmered it in a water bath until the egg was steamed and the avocado oil warmed, “making it even creamier,” explains Pinkney. A sprinkling of smoked paprika and fire-roasted red tomatillo sauce on the side added color and more flavor to the creamy, decadant morning bite.

(Source: Picture and quote from the article)

Since I didn't have and red tomatillos to roast and there wasn't an actual recipe, anyway, I just mashed up some of the scooped-out avocado with some chipotle and used that on top.

This was very simple and very good. I'll definitely make it again, but scooping out more of the avocado, the next time, to accommodate the volume of the egg properly.

Tonight I'll be making Maryann's birthday meal, but just the main, since I don't like cucumbers and I'm not going to make a whole pie right now.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 4/28?? by labradors (Since I got mired in...)
William is cooking a Boston Butt at the farm, so that will be dinner. My guests are off to the wedding which has a sit down dinner, so I don't have to worry about feeding them.

Maryann, I hope Ron feels better soon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.