Grinding spices in a coffee grinder
  Re: (...)
Came across this tip on Cooking Light.com on how to clean your coffee grinder after you grind up seeds (like cumin seeds). I haven't tried it myself yet but thought I'd pass it along.

"Clean the grinder to ­remove flavors that could permeate the next item ground. Wipe the grinder clean with a soft cloth, add a few tablespoons of uncooked white rice, and grind until rice turns into powder; repeat until the ground rice comes out white."
  Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by Trixxee (Came across this tip...)
Trixxee, I'm so glad you posted this - I remember reading this somewhere, but had forgotten about it. thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by cjs (Trixxee, I'm so glad...)
Thanks, i wondered how to get rid of the smell and taste of some spices in mine.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by Lorraine (Thanks, i wondered h...)
Also get a can of high pressure air to blow out particles.
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by DFen911 (Also get a can of hi...)
It works beautifully, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by Mare749 (It works beautifully...)
Great tip, Trixxee! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by Gourmet_Mom (Great tip, Trixxee! ...)
...and, when you're done, you can add the "rice flour" to a coating mix (as long as the flavour of whatever you were cleaning out goes along with it okay) for a nice, crispy coating.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by labradors (...and, when you're ...)
Excellent, Labs!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by Gourmet_Mom (Excellent, Labs!...)
good idea to add to my coffee-cinnamon rub. hmmmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grinding spices in a coffee grinder by cjs (good idea to add to ...)
You're welcome! Now I need to come up with a recipe using ground spices to test it out.