I LOVE MY KINDLE
  Re: (...)
Don't know why you'all didn't convince me of this sooner....

I have a problem playing my music now that Roy is doing so much reading - the stereo is in the living room, so I have to turn the volume up to enjoy........

I just downloaded Lionel Richie's Tuskegee album and have it in the kitchen with me!!! Fantastic. Also, downloaded Hard 2 Love - haven't listened to it yet, but know I'll like it too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by cjs (Don't know why you'a...)
Funny you should bring this up. My girls asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the Kindle Fire. I guess they were thinking about it for my birthday. I'm just not sure that I would really use it for more than just reading books like I do now.

I like to hold my magazines in my hands to leaf through them, so not so sure I would subscribe through the Kindle. The screen seems too small to watch movies on. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the only games I play are Solitaire and Scrabble and already have both on my Kindle. For music, I have an Ipod and a base with good speakers, so it can be moved around.

So, please tell me what else you love about your Kindle Fire because so far I can't think of a reason to upgrade except that it looks really, really great!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Mare749 (Funny you should bri...)
I really can't see that you'd need to upgrade, Maryann. I'm liking mine for easy access to books while we're on the road. And, now that I've found a use for uplaoding music so I can listen in the kitchen, which you already have covered.

The only magazine I still subscribe to is F&W (I can't believe I have gotten to just one after years of magazine after magazine!!) and I want the hard copy of it also.

I don't watch movies on my Kindle, nor do I do the games, but I love crossword puzzles, so maybe I'll look into that.

I think you are good to go. What do others think??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by cjs (I really can't see t...)
Does the original have a web browser? I like being able to check FB, here, Trip Advisor, search Yahoo, etc. when the other computers in this house are taken up.

You probably don't have that issue though, Maryann!
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Trixxee (Does the original ha...)
It does have a web browser, but I don't enjoy using it because it's slower than my high-speed cable connection. I used it once when we were traveling and haven't used it since. Since I have the 3G, I don't have to be in a wi-fi area to go online, but it is handy if I want to buy a book while traveling.

The Kindle Fire just looks like so much fun that it makes me want one! But, the practical side of me says I might not really use it enough.
Maryann

Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Mare749 (It does have a web b...)
If I were you I'd probably just use yours until it doesn't work anymore since it definitely suits your current needs. I sort of think society (with the help of advertising) has evolved into exchanging electronics for grander ones when there was nothing wrong with what we had before! That's why I'm so reluctant to ever buy new cell phones. Mine works fine but doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But it does make a phone call - LOL!
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Trixxee (If I were you I'd pr...)
I don't see you needing it either, Maryann.

But I do love my iPad!

Glad you're enjoying it Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Gourmet_Mom (I don't see you need...)
I'm with you, Daph, my iPad is awesome!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Trixxee (If I were you I'd pr...)
I know what you mean about the cell phones, Trixxee. Mine is considered old compared to what my daughters have, but there isn't anything wrong with it! We bought replacement batteries on ebay last year, so for now they are fine. Frankly, I loved the very first cell phone I had. It was so easy and uncomplicated; put in the number and send.

Thanks for all your input everybody. I'm sure my girls will come up with something else fun for my b-day!
Maryann

Re: Re: I LOVE MY KINDLE by Mare749 (I know what you mean...)
I agree that upgrading to a Kindle Fire is not worth it. However, when you are ready to really upgrade go for the new iPad. It is awesome. I did not think I would use it as much as I do. We are driving to LA and I could easily take my laptop, but I think I'll just take the iPad. Since I got it, it saved me when the wifi was out when the transformers burned in Boston. I was able to check my email, Facebook, this forum and others, order stuff online, watch TV shows I missed, play my favorite games (Scrabble and Bejeweled among others). I did not think I would enjoy reading from it as much as I do, even cookbooks, I cooked using it solely as well. I have all my pictures, including several I took with it, great camera, all my music, of course my calendar and contacts updated in all my computers via the icloud and could do all my banking. The only things I can't do now are run Qucken and Living Coobook and the latter will be out by the end of the year. Best of all, Facetime with the grandkids is amazing.

The GPS in our car is old and it would cost a mint to update it, so we were thinking of getting a portable one. No need, a $2.99 app does the trick. So when you are ready, really upgrade. I tend to save and combine gifts (birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc) till I have enough to get something special. You might consider that.

Re Phones: I had to have PDA way back for work and had an old big cell just for calling. As soon as the first smart phones came out, I got one, dumped my PDA and paper calendar and rolodex, and have never look back. It is so convenient to be at the doctors office and just enter appts. on my phone, or have all my numbers with me. Also to take pictures on the fly. I rented a car and it had a small ding, which they noted, but I took a picture just in case and sure enough when I brought it back, they noticed it. Showed the picture and that was it. Also take pictures of some receipts and lots of places have electronic coupons which I can find on the fly, so no clipping for me. I also text DH and my kids and tell them to check emails, or to listen to their voicemails. And yes it makes calls as well.