Memorial Day Dinner, 2012??
  Re: (...)
Happy Memorial Day everyone and I'm sure we'll all be thinking of the service men and women who gave all for us.

What's on the menu for everyone??

We are really winding down - more company coming for 'last holiday meal,' but it's going to be an easy crockpot Mexican Stew and Burr's Red Chile Cornbread. a neighbor who is 'smitten' with Houseboat Don is bringing me a b'day cake.

Here is what we had yesterday for my special grazing dinner - what fun it was.

I finally made Clive's (old C2Cer) Bacon Jam - it's wonderful. Sharon, I think you have the recipe also, but I modified it a little, if you're interested.
[Image: OysterCakewithBaconJamMemorialWeekend.jpg]

Had some honeycomb left in the pantry, so of course it was wonderful with these cheeses.
[Image: BakedBrieandCamembertMemorialWeekend.jpg]

I'll post the recipe for this one - so easy and fast - we ate it as an appie, but I bet it would be good with a grain or pasta
[Image: PorkandPaprikaChixBites.jpg]

This one uses Pillsbury cookie roll and wow! so tasty and easy -
[Image: ChocoChipCupsMemorialWeekend.jpg]

[Image: ChocolateChipMoltenLavaCookies.jpg]

Port and Paprika Chicken Bites Recipe
I apologize - can't remember where this recipe came from or when!

2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons port (ruby or tawny)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt -- plus more to taste
1 pound boneless -- skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks (about 1-inch dice)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup finely diced onion

1 Grind the garlic and bay leaves together in the work bowl of a hand blender or mini chopper. (Alternatively -- chop the garlic by hand and finely crumble the bay leaves and combine.) Add the port, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the vinegar, paprika, and salt and pulse until well combined.

2 Pour the mixture over the chicken -- cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.

3. Just before cooking, chop enough cilantro to make 1/2 cup. Scatter the cilantro on a serving plate.

4. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat in a wok or large skillet. With a slotted spoon, scoop the chicken pieces out of the marinade and into the hot oil, arranging the chicken in a single layer and discarding the marinade. Cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes, then stir-fry until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Scoop the chicken out of the pan, leaving any excess oil behind, and place the chicken on the cilantro.

5. Add the onion to the oil in the hot pan, return it to medium-high heat, and cook, stirring, until the onion is browned at the edges, about 2 minutes. Scoop the onion out of the oil and strew it over the chicken.

6. Serve the plate of chicken bites hot or at room temperature, sprinkled with a touch of salt and with cocktail picks or toothpicks for handling.

Description:
"Great Bar Food at Home | John Wiley & Sons, 2007 | Serves 4 as tapas"

NOTES : Portuguese and Spanish ingredients—inimitable port wine, paprika, cilantro, and olive oil—flavor this tapas-style dish. Set out cocktail picks, or toothpicks, for nibbling on these delicious little bites. To cook these bites once and enjoy them twice, double the recipe, omitting the cilantro, and freeze half the batch. Then just thaw them in the fridge and reheat them in in a skillet, adding fresh cilantro before serving.–Kate Heyhoe

LC Hah! Note: If you’re anything like us, you may as well forget satisfying your and three other appetites with this tapas, as suggested by the number of servings above. Hah! Just can’t be done, not when it’s so tricky to stop tossing back small bites of warmly spiced chicken. Perhaps cconsider it an entree instead, for two not four, spooning the chicken over rice to soak up every last drop of that sauce.

----------------

* Exported from MasterCook *

Molten Lava Chocolate Chip Cookies - Pillsbury

Makes 9
1 roll Pillsbury® refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
9 teaspoons semisweet chocolate chips
Ice cream -- if desired
Chocolate-flavored syrup -- if desired
Maraschino cherries -- if desired

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.

2 Remove cookie dough from wrapper. Spoon 1 tablespoon dough into each muffin cup. With fingers, press dough to flatten in cups.

3 Place 1 teaspoon chocolate chips on top of dough in each cup. Place additional 1 tablespoon dough over chips in each cup; press lightly to flatten.

4 Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool in pan about 10 minutes.

5 Remove warm cookies from muffin cups. Top each with ice cream, chocolate syrup and 1 cherry..

Cookies will keep in an airtight container for a few days.

You can reheat cookies in the microwave to warm slightly prior to serving.

------------

Well now, didn't I just hijack this thread.............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by cjs (Happy Memorial Day e...)
Braised some country style ribs to be BBQ ed later with sweet baby ray sauce, BBQ pineapple, and some other thing yet to be decided. Wish we had corn on cob, but it's way too early
Cis
Empress for Life
Looks delicious Jean. Those chicken bites look particularly tasty.

Tonight's dinner is another recipe that I've not tried before- Mexican style chicken & dumplings.
WOW Jean those all look so good. I'd love to have the recipe for the Bacon Jam. Actually everything!

I'm going to fill the crockpot with goodies, pork, onions, tomatoes, etc. and send Bob to the store for beans (I couldn't find any dried at home) and we're having chili for dinner with quesadillas.

Today's a 2 to 8 day so dinner will have to be easy.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by Harborwitch (WOW Jean those all l...)
Wow Jean! Blane, I wouldn't mind having that recipe.

I think we're keeping it simple tonight - chicken cutlets with some kind of simple pan sauce - maybe the almond butter sauce. Broccoli and red potatoes. And WATERMELON. LOL.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by Trixxee (Wow Jean! Blane, I ...)
Here you go Trixxee.

The page 15 instructions call out for a #30 ice cream scoop to form the dumplings. I don't have one, so I'll just have to eye-ball it.

[Image: img018.jpg]
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by losblanos1 (Here you go Trixxee....)
That was fast - thanks Blane! Let us know how it turns out.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by losblanos1 (Here you go Trixxee....)
Man the food looks good around here. I will have to try the Mexican Chicken and Dumplings. I have made a curry version and my son loves them all. I think Chick and Dumplings is his favorite comfort food.

Of course Jean's is out of the park and off the hook!

We are having fish tacos. My hubby got some Walleye when he was in Canada last week. While on the trip he made fish tacos with slaw and sriracha. I made a barley and kale salad this morning and there is still some vegan chili left over if anyone is still hungry.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by luvnit (Man the food looks g...)
"My hubby got some Walleye when he was in Canada last week" - Aha, no wonder there is a 'Mom's' trip in the offing......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Dinner, 2012?? by cjs ("My hubby got some W...)
LOL! You are pretty much on the right track Jean.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura