So, what kind of grill do you have?
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Mare749 (Thanks everybody, fo...)
We use chips in our smoker - Apple, Cherry, Pecan, Maple, Alder (for fish), Hickory, a little mesquite. I love using oak, almond, and walnut but we don't have access here. I'm looking forward to finding some grape vine trimmings and other fruit woods that haven't been sprayed.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Mare749 (Thanks everybody, fo...)
Quote:

Thanks everybody, for your input. I guess since most of you use gas grills, there is no use asking what type of wood and chips you all like to use...

Hickory, Alder, applewood & Mesquite. The alder is great with salmon. I have a smokebox for my gas grill, it works like a champ.
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by losblanos1 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
[blockquote]Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Thanks everybody, for your input. I guess since most of you use gas grills,

. . . I forgot cedar!
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For our smoker, I use all the different woods, but less of the Mesquite and Hickory - I like a more subtle flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by cjs (For our smoker, I us...)
I have to agree Jean. The mesquite is way to strong for me. I prefer the apple and maple.
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by cjs (PJ - we'll all never...)
Quote:

PJ - we'll all never forget when your last grill ended up in the pool. What a tale that was!!!

Some people really know how to party! LOL.

We have a Weber Genesis gas grill (I want to say it was about $400). Been going strong for about 6 years now. It gets a lot of use. Also have the Weber Q for camping. Also been going strong for 6 years now.

We bought a Brinkman charcoal smoker last year and we despise the thing. It's an eyesore and we need to get rid of it.
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Trixxee, that's a shame about your smoker. We have an electric smoker and love it, but mostly for big pieces of meat like pork shoulder. (at least 8 lbs.) Many times we purchase a pack of two from Sam's Club for a large gathering.

I put a rub on them several hours ahead of time, then put them in the smoker with apple wood and/or hickory chunks for about 4 hours, then just let it cook overnight, 12 hours or more, until it breaks apart easily. After the party and when the meat is completely cooled, we package it up with the food saver for future meals.

Blane, we have one of those smoker boxes, but have never had much luck with it. Maybe we don't give it enough time to get good and smokey. I can't seem to find alder around here, but will have to check Home Depot. We love salmon, so would like to try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Mare749 (Trixxee, that's a sh...)
I know Maryann. We blew it by not getting an electric (or gas?) smoker. The charcoal is just way too much maintenance and every time you open the door to add more (which seems to be often) you loose so much heat and then it takes forever to get back up to temperature and then it's time to add more charcoal. LOL.
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Mare749 (Trixxee, that's a sh...)
My first smoker was electric bullet shaped - with an element in the bottom that you put wet chips on. I quickly switched to just using charcoal and wood chunks. We burned that one up in a hurry and replaced it with a propane smoker (same model). That lasted about two or three years.

We got the big propane smoker - LOVED it. But it's in ND. We spotted a fantastic Masterbuilt Digital Electric smoker on QVC and are thrilled with it. It uses a lot fewer chips, they don't have to be soaked, and it's so well insulated that the outside is cool to the touch when it's at 225. I love the digital time/temp monitoring. The only drawback is that it can't be used in inclement weather unless we can figure out how to shelter it.
  Re: Re: So, what kind of grill do you have? by Harborwitch (My first smoker was ...)
I hope to experiment this summer with different woods if I can find it. I've only used Hickory up to now since that's all I can get in large chunks right now. Although, William said he has a bunch of wild cherry trees at the camp and we have grape vine to try, also. So it looks like I have some experimenting to do this summer.

Now what I'd like to know...You've mentioned lots of wood, but what do you use each for?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.