Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too!
  Re: (...)
Something else I brought back from Guatemala was hot chocolate.

This chocolate comes in big tablets and are just stirred into boiling milk. There were four different brands. Two of them were not as natural/pure and contained oil, so I didn't even bother with those. Here are the two that I bought:

[Image: hotchocolates.jpg]

The one one the left has chocolate, sugar, vanilla and lecithin. The one on the right has chocolate, sugar and cinnamon. When I asked a few random Guatemalan shoppers if they used these chocolates and, if so, which they preferred, they said they didn't like the ones with the oil. Two of them voted for Chocolate Especial and one for Chocolate Matina.

I liked them about equally, but they were different. My guess would be that Americans would prefer Chocolate Matina because of the vanilla and Mexicans would prefer Chocolate Especial because of the cinnamon. Either way, YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too! by labradors (Something else I bro...)
Very cool, Labs. I just wish I'd known this all while Mom was there...LOL! But she wants to go back...sooooo. Your info will be useful. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too! by Gourmet_Mom (Very cool, Labs. I ...)
Hot Chocolate - whenever I think of it, I think of Nigella Lawson's. It is so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too! by cjs (Hot Chocolate - when...)
It's fascinating to see the products used in other countries! Labs, did you take any other photos while you were there?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too! by Mare749 (It's fascinating to ...)
My sister loves the hot chocolate in tablets for her annual high school Spanish Club hot chocolate fundraiser. She must get them at a latin market. I've never noticed them in the grocery stores here.
  Re: Re: Oh, yeah: Hot chocolate, too! by Trixxee (My sister loves the ...)
I'm going to look for this next Mexican market I come across.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com