Culantro
  Re: (...)
Sharon has some of this culantro growing (geez, it was with you that I tried this, wasn't it???? ) and it is wonderful - if you like cilantro. Much more pungent flavor than cilantro. Here's what I've found on it and I'm sure going to order some seeds.

"Culantro is an herb native to Mexico, Central, and South America which has a strong, aromatic scent that fills the air when you brush up against it. This easy-to-grow herb has many culinary uses in Caribbean, Latin American, and Asian cuisine. It is a very popular herb in Panama, Puerto Rico, and other Latin-influenced areas. Although used in small amounts, its very strong flavor is used as a seasoning in a wide range of foods, including meats, vegetables, and chutneys. It goes by many names: long coriander, false coriander, culantro or recao (Spanish), langer koriander (German), ngo gai (Vietnamese), pak chi farang (Thai), and bhandhanya (Hindi). Like its close relative cilantro, the plant tends to stretch tall and go to seed in the lengthening days of spring. While culantro and cilantro look different, the leaf aromas are similar, although culantro is stronger. Although it is grown as an annual, it is actually biennial in areas warm enough to let it overwinter.

Growing culantro is like growing lettuce. You plant after frost in the spring. You pick individual leaves until summer’s long days and high temperatures arrive. Then culantro, like lettuce, grows out of its rosette, stretching upward with a fast-growing stalk that will bloom and set seeds. At this point, the plant is usually exhausted and dies. If the seeds are allowed to drop into the soil, it may reseed. However, in areas that experience freezing temperatures in winter, this tender tropical will be killed. Your best bet is to grow it in spring and cut off the flower stalk when it appears in order to encourage leafy growth, rather than flowers. It will eventually succeed in flowering, and when it does, the leaves will become somewhat tough and less appealing."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Culantro by cjs (Sharon has some of t...)
Great stuff. Around here, it's a lot cheaper than cilantro and available almost anywhere. Since I've been here, I've only used regular cilantro twice and those were times when the store where I was was out of culantro and I didn't want to carry a bunch of refrigerated items around to somewhere that would have the culantro. Otherwise, for recipes that call for cilantro, I just substitute culantro.

One place I lived, where there was a little yard space available, I grew culantro, myself, and it was super easy. Since then, however, I haven't had any place to plant any.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Culantro by cjs (Sharon has some of t...)
I love this stuff. I have a number of recipes that call for culantro - I think one is in a Thai cookbook, the rest are in Latino cookbooks. It's such a strong cilantro aroma - but "juicier"? (I found mine at an ACE hardware store, but then we have a huge Mexican population up here.

Glad you like it Jean!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Culantro by Harborwitch (I love this stuff. ...)
I wonder if it would grow in my aero grow garden. I would love to give it a try
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Culantro by farnfam (I wonder if it would...)
While you never find cilantro in a real Cuban recipe, occasionally you do find culantro. Easy to find in Cuba.

Interestingly, though I pretty much dislike cilantro (super taster unfortunately), I do love and use coriander (have it both whole and ground), and don't mind culantro at all. If I had any, I would use it instead of cilantro. As it is, most of the time I just omit the cilantro, or sub something I do like, even if it changes the profile a bit such Thai Basil or flat parsley. I will look for some culantro plants next year. Might be fun as I work through some of my mom's old Cuban cookbooks.