Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers
  Re: (...)
From cuisine at Home issue # 94 (July/August 2012)

This was a very tasty burger, but it wasn't over the top. Some bites were an OMG moment, on other bites it was just OK. Maybe my cooking technique/ingredients were off. I used buttermilk mashed potatoes, could that affect the taste? (I do not think the potatoes were a great addition to this burger anyway)
I used a Merlot for the red wine, is that a good choice? Maybe a Cab. or Zif. would have been better? I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't make this again. Not a keeper for me.
I hope someone else will make this and comment.

[Image: BeefBourguignonburger-1.jpg]
  Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by losblanos1 (From cuisine at Home...)
That looks just super! Great pics and nice review too. Hope it was still good.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by luvnit (That looks just supe...)
Well, your photo sure is gorgeous. Sorry you didn't think this recipe was all that great.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by Mare749 (Well, your photo sur...)
Since I haven't seen this issue, I really shouldn't comment, but can't see why your Merlot wouldn't work. And, I would think Buttermilk mashed potatoes would be great. Hmmmm. Can't have all winners, I guess
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by cjs (Since I haven't seen...)
I had a leftover one for lunch today, minus the potatoes. It was delicious. I'll be more likely to make this again w/o the spuds.
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by losblanos1 (I had a leftover one...)
After reading your review, I thought that the mashed potatoes might be over the top and was planning on leaving them out. You definitely confirmed that!
  Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by losblanos1 (From cuisine at Home...)
Quote:

I used a Merlot for the red wine, is that a good choice? Maybe a Cab. or Zif. would have been better?

Not sure what the C@H recipe specified, but "Bourguignon" MEANS "Burgundy." That's where I'd start.

Even so, I've experimented with marinated burgers before, and beer worked MUCH better than wine (of course, that's not this recipe, though). My JalapeƱo Beerburgers worked out especially well.

Another thing about Boeuf Bourguignon is that the meat is braised in the wine and that gives it even more flavour. Hamburgers aren't braised, so they can't benefit from that long time or cooking in the wine.

Perhaps, to make up for the lack of braising, a stronger wine would help, so I think you'd be on the right track with a Zinfandel.

Sorry it wasn't a smash hit. If you do decide to try it with a different wine, please post your results.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs, thank you. I really appreciate your feedback. My problem with this recipe was the potatoes. When I bit into the potato free areas of the burger, it was delicious. When I bit into a potato area, it was a taste dead zone, it was like the potato neutralized the flavor.
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by losblanos1 (Labs, thank you. I r...)
Makes sense.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe review: Beef Bourguignon burgers by labradors (Makes sense....)
Seriously, I think I may try it....love the favors....but without the spuds. Wonder if C@H monitors our chat and considers it? Wonder if you put the spuds in a pocket in the burger.....with a lot of cheese mixed in?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.