Chicken Kiev recipe for Labs
  Re: (...)
C@H Issue 47 page 19

Makes 4 stuffed chicken breasts
Total time: About 1 1/2 hours + chilling

For the filling----

Combine and chill:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 t. minced fresh rosemary, thyme or chives (I used a combo of thyme and chives but I bet you could use whatever your favorite herb is)
1 t. garlic, minced (I use more because we love garlic!!!)
Minced zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

For the chicken---

Pound and season; Roll:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5-6 ounces each)
Salt and pepper to taste

Coat in; Fry:
2 cups panko crums
1/4 cup all purose flor
2 eggs, lightly beaten with
1 T. water
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and spread into a 4" square.
Fold plastic around butter a chill.

Pound chicken using a meat mallet and flatten to about 1/4 inch thick, then transfer to a sheet of parchment paper of plastic wrap.

Cut chilled butter into 4 equal parts. Place a stick on a chicken breast and roll, completely enclosing the butter, shaping meat around any holes. Continue rolling remaining butter and chicken.

Place panko, flour and beaten eggs into three separate shallow dishes.

Coat each rolled breast first in the flour, then in the eggs and then panko. Transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet; chill at least one hour for crumbs to set. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; heat oil in a nonstick saute pan over medium high heat until it shimmers.

Fry chicken, turning often until crisp and golden all around (1 1/2 minutes per side is perfect). Transfer back to the rack and finish in oven until cooked through, about 12 minutes (PERFECT!!!)

BON APPETIT

You could also replace 1/2 the butter with some ricotta or smooth cottage cheese if you want to cut back on the butter....still great!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Chicken Kiev recipe for Labs by Roxanne 21 ([url=mailto:C@H]C@H[...)
THANK YOU! Copying this right now so I don't lose it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?