Your gardens???
  Re: (...)
How are they doing? Mine is dying a very fast death. I water after sundown, and before sunup, but with the extreme heat, it's just not enough. The basil is all burnt, half the tomatoes are burnt, peas are dead, watermelons, musk melons, sweet taters, looking very sad. Even the chives are fried. the forecast is for cooler temps and thunderstorms all next week. I'm thinking it's a bit too late. If we get severe thunderstorms, it will probably just mash everything.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Your gardens??? by Lorraine (How are they doing? ...)
I just came in from watering the side garden. We just had a whole lot of landscaping done and I'll be d@mned if I'm going to lose it to this heat wave.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by BarbaraS (I just came in from ...)
We out here on the left coast are having the opposite problem...last few days are the only summer-like weather we've had. My cherry tomatoes are just now getting a little color; romas are still buds and one tiny zucc on the plant.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by cjs (We out here on the l...)
Sounds like I'm the lucky one this year. Kind of funny since I'm not much of a gardener. Our garden is thriving. Tomatoes won't be in for a while because we got them in too late, but they look terrific. The zukes and yellow squash are growing several inches a day, but no sign of green beans just yet. We have already picked some peppers, and the basil and rosemary are looking good. We also planted some green onions, but they never came up. Oh, and we put Katie's cabbage plant in the ground, but it's not doing much.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by Mare749 (Sounds like I'm the ...)
Huge drawback to living in a condo (well, there are many) - not much room for gardening.
  Re: Your gardens??? by Lorraine (How are they doing? ...)
Now that the sailboat's out of the backyard, next year I'm planning for a little garden. I would even like to try for some corn! But I definitely want tomatoes - heirloom and cherries.

What kinds of tomatoes does everyone recommend?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by BarbaraS (Now that the sailboa...)
Barbara, my favorite heirloom is Purple Cherokee with Black Russian right behind it. And, we always plant one or two cherry/grape tomatoes - picking and eating right in the garden, it's like eating candy. Then the third tomato I always plant are Romas.

Well, this weather has been really good to the herbs....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by cjs (Barbara, my favorite...)
We're lucky this year, too! Even though the heat has been high, we are fortunate to live close enough to the coast to benefit from the pop up rain showers that occur in the evenings. The tomatoes are coming off. We're very excited about the Purple Cherokee! I have six of different varieties ripening in the window now. The corn is close to being ready if the raccoons don't get it all...little monsters! The potatoes will get dug any day now. The zucchini and squash are thriving. We've had plenty to share with the food pantry. The peppers are going like crazy! Okra is just about ready to start cutting.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by cjs (Barbara, my favorite...)
Ooooo! I've heard of the Purple Cherokee! I have that on my list! Just have to figure out where to get my seeds.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Your gardens??? by BarbaraS (Ooooo! I've heard o...)
Didn't plant anything this year in light of the move. But we're having a heat wave starting today so glad not to be dealing with the heat index. It'll be 102 here and tomorrow 104. Nights are only low 70's and that' not till like 3am.

I can't imagine how hard this is on the east coasties who just are not used to these temps