Cherries - Bing or Rainers
  Re: (...)
Ok they are in season out here - Does anyone have a recipe for canning them
Or making a jelly or a syrup with them ?

I thought it would make nice Christmas Presents.

Any Recipes or Ideas ?

Thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by mjkcooking (Ok they are in seas...)
I sure wish I could afford the Ranier, but at almost $5.00 lb, they are almost triple the price of Bing. Somewhere, I have a recipe for Brandied Cherries, they made great gifts. I'll try to find it. I did two batches of cherries yesterday, one sweet, one savoury. The cherries were washed, stemmed and pitted. For the saweet, I cooked them in Sweet white Reserve wine and a bit of sugar. for the savoury, i cooked them in Sweet Red Reserve wine, a bit of sugar, and added fresh thyme leaves at the very end. I did not process them in a water bath, (due to using them for catering), I froze them in quart bags.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by mjkcooking (Ok they are in seas...)
I love the Rainers but price limits consumption. I did try some dried once and was disappointed--the flavor decreased in intensity, unlike bing and others. I just stick with fresh--at $4.98/lb I want all the flavor there is!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by Old Bay (I love the Rainers b...)
I can the Rainers every year we run out. Just in the lightest syrup.

Also, a couple of cherry relishes that we love. In fact, I just thawed some out while Laura was here to see if it would freeze successfully and it did!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dried Cherry Relish*****

1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 large red onion -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, combine cherries, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Let soak 30 minutes.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add sugar; mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat 10 minutes.

Add cherries with soaking liquid to onion mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Makes about 2 cups. 12 servings as a relish.

Description:
"first had this with Don Kaiser as an appy with shredded duck - see new recipe for the apppy."
Source:
"Cherry Marketing Institute"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.cherrymkt.org/index.html"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve warm with pork, duck or goose.

NOTES : Relish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated; reheat before serving. 2012 note: freezes great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by cjs (I can the Rainers ev...)
Lorraine
The recipe for the Brandy Cherries would be great! They are not that expensive out here. I would like to give as gifts. Thanks

Jean - the Relish looks very good too. - We are going over the mountains
next week and would like to get some cherries and make some gifts.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by mjkcooking (Lorraine [br]The rec...)
Quote:

Lorraine
The recipe for the Brandy Cherries would be great! They are not that expensive out here. I would like to give as gifts. Thanks

Jean - the Relish looks very good too. - We are going over the mountains
next week and would like to get some cherries and make some gifts.

Marye

Where "over the mountains"?

I'm crazy about bings. Bob is madly in love with a cherry that they grow in CA - Tartarians, it's very much like a bing but with a bit of tartness. Cherries are still cheap here so a batch of Mango, Cherry, Habanero salsa might be in order.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm sorry, I can't find my recipe. I know it's from an old Gourmet magazine (from the 70's or 80's). If anyone has access to the old C2C site, I know it's posted there. This one is similar to mine:

6-lbs. dark, sweet cherries
1-cup sugar
1-cup water
1/4-cup lemon juice
1 1/4-cup brandy

Wash and pit cherries
Combine sugar, water & lemon juice in a large pot
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer
Add cherries & simmer until hot throughout
Remove from heat; stir in brandy
Pack hot cherries into hot jars, leaving 1/2" headspace
Ladle hot syrup over cherries, leaving 1/4" headspace
Remove air bubbles
Adjust two-piece caps
Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Makes about 6 pints

I served the sweet ones on a pate platter Thursday night, and they were a huge hit.
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by Lorraine (I'm sorry, I can't f...)
I did a search in MasterCook with your name, Lorraine, and I got 113 hits. I've saved an awful lot of your ideas!! But, I was sure I had the brandied cherry recipe. No luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by cjs (I did a search in Ma...)
Thanks for trying, Jean.
  Re: Re: Cherries - Bing or Rainers by Lorraine (Thanks for trying, J...)
I was able to get my recipe off the old site.

Ok. Off the top of my head. Wash them. They need to be ripe but not mush. Keep a bit of the stem on if you can. Prick them a few times with a pin so they don't explode. Cover in cold water. Bring to a boil. dump water. Cover with cold water and bring to a gentle boil again. Have ready a simple syrup. and have your jars boiled and ready. And a bottle or two or brandy.

Put the hot cherries into the steaming jars. Fill 1/3 full of simple syrup, and top up with brandy. Put on the boiling lids, and they should seal. The original recipe called for 2/3 syrup, 1/3 brandy, but that's not how I do it. And, you don't have to use top of the line brandy.