T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone??

We're taking off for Medford in a couple of hours. Tracie moved and I can't stand not knowing where my chicks live. It'll be a fast trip, will be back Monday.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by cjs (What's on the menu ...)
Have a nice trip Jean!

We are going to have a special dinner tonight. Perhaps I need a bit more imagination or inspiration so this is not quite so boring (but still delicious). I am taking some filet mignon out of the freezer, some sort of potato (any ideas?), asparagus, and some classic Bearnaise sauce. All because I wanted Brad to try some of that Schloss Biebrich sparkling wine tonight.

I sent him on a mission to Trader Joe's today to get it. Let's just see what he comes back with

I found this blurb about it online this morning:
Quote:

The Schloss Biebrich Sekt, a Trader Joe’s ($4.99) exclusive, is a non vintage Sparkling wine produced in Germany. Sekt is to Germany, what Cava is to Spain and Prosecco and Spumante is to Italy, their national version of Sparkling wine. This Sekt is made by Henkell & Co., the second largest producer of Sekt in Germany. The Germans drink more Sparkling wine than any other country in Europe, they drink so much Bubbly that the German vineyards cannot keep up with the demand and a majority of the grapes are imported from France, Spain or Italy. Sekt is usually made from Riesling, but can be made from many different grapes. In Germany, the Schloss Biebrich Sekt is sold exclusively to hotels and catering companies. This Bubbly is made with the Charmat Method, the same a Prosecco and Spumante, where the 2nd fermentation (that is where the bubbles are added) occurs in large stainless steel vats. The alcohol content is 11%.

The color is pale golden yellow and there are lots and lots of bubbles. The nose is crisp apple and apricot, with a little lemon cream pie and lime. This is a very light crisp bubbly, good balanced acidity, some inexpensive Sparkling wines can go overboard on the acidity. It tastes of apple and pear, a touch of lemon, a hint of buttered bread, not layered and nuanced, but darn tasty. The finish is subdued but manages to linger until you are ready to take the next sip.

The Schloss Biebrich Sekt is a whole lot of Bubbly for $5, priced in with the Andre’s and Cook’s Champagne, but so much more. The Schloss Biebrich drinks just fine on its own, but would make a terrific base for Champagne cocktails. You don’t want to be pouring mixers into expensive Bubbly, but you need a flavorful Sparkling wine to serve as a base. At five bucks, the Schloss Biebrich Sekt is just what the doctor ordered.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by luvnit (Have a nice trip Jea...)
Wow - fingers crossed that Brad is able to find it, Laura!!

Your dinner is just crying out for some caviar to go with...maybe some 'frites' with the steak and asparagus???Fun dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by cjs (Wow - fingers crosse...)
Oooh Caviar and Frites!!! That would be perfection! I will have to mull this menu over during my AM bike ride. I know I can do the caviar, but will have to see how hot it gets. I do my deep frying outside. If I could set it up and do the first fry, etc. Yeah, I will think this through on my ride...

This will be Brad's birthday dinner! He finally turns my age!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by luvnit (Oooh Caviar and Frit...)
Great sounding dinner, Laura!

Safe travels, Jean!

I'm having steak night tonight!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by Gourmet_Mom (Great sounding dinne...)
Jean I hope you have a fun and safe trip!

Laura your dinner sounds divine!

One of our work camper couples will be leaving tomorrow so we are having a pot luck for them. Hopefully the weather will cooperate - it's supposed to storm really badly tonight.

We've got two huge pork butts in the smoker - one with a traditional rub, the other with cocoa, achiote, oregano, ancho & chipotle, cumin, and salt. I'm making a blueberry crisp. I have no idea what anyone else is making/bringing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by Harborwitch (Jean I hope you have...)
Laura, we love potato confit with filet mignon. It's a surprisingly easy and tasty side dish.

Jean, have a fun trip!

I've been cleaning house all day....I lead such an exciting life! We're having a skillet chicken tortilla casserole. It's not fancy, but it sure is tasty.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by karyn (Laura, we love [url=...)
Tonight it's Beer braised brisket with sides of mashed potatoes & broccoli. That potato confit sounds delicious (I copied the recipe, thanks karyn), as does that smoked pork butt with Mexican seasonings.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 7/20?? by losblanos1 (Tonight it's Beer br...)
Quote:

Tonight it's Beer braised brisket...

Try saying THAT ten times, quickly!

Quote:

...with sides of mashed potatoes & broccoli.

AHA!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?