Guess what I'm doing?
  Re: (...)
[Image: Tomatoes.jpg]

Looks like I'm going to be busy! And this is only half of them!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Gourmet_Mom ([img]http://i300.pho...)
We just made a big batch of fresh tomato sauce Sicilian and froze it--we made it with fresh tomatoes (what I wouldn't give for yours) and canned "Jersey" tomatoes. By the way, I just ordered a case of Jersey tomatoes. Love those things!!!! The combination of fresh and really good canned is amazing in a marinara!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Old Bay (We just made a big b...)

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Gourmet_Mom ([img]http://i300.pho...)
OMG Daphne, they look awesome!

Next year.... next year...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by BarbaraS (OMG Daphne, they loo...)
Awesome
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by farnfam (Awesome [img]/ubbthr...)
Holy cow - bumper crop! That is awesome!!
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by DFen911 (Holy cow - bumper cr...)
Today is one of those days I wish I had one of those mats in my kitchen. I'm determined to at least get the marinara processed....almost ready to get it to cooking. I won't finish today, but I'm not too concerned. I will have put up all of the ripest ones, all the Brandywines, and all of the purples. I discovered that half of one of those pans were not quite ripe enough. So I'll process them another day. So far, I have about 16 pounds frozen in 28 ounce packs and about a gallon of strained tomato juice. I'll report on the marinara when I finish.

BTW, speaking of the juice, anybody have any idea how I can make Bloody Mary mix out of it?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Gourmet_Mom (Today is one of thos...)

BTW, speaking of the juice, anybody have any idea how I can make Bloody Mary mix out of it?

[/blockquote]

Get some "Demitris Bloody Mary Seasoning" from "The Bartenders Choice" and add 2oz per quart of tomato juice--you can freeze individually ---thaw as needed and add vodka and whatever (lemon juice, pepper, celery salt,beef broth --to taste)--I think this is your best option. I wish I had your problem!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Old Bay ([br]BTW, speaking of...)
Thanks, Bill! I knew you two would know! I'll make my order now. I think 'll get another gallon by the time I finish. It's a little on the thin side. I wonder if I should throw a couple seeded tomatoes in the food processor to thicken? Lord knows I have enough to spare! William brought 15 or more home this afternoon! The nut had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to have tomato sandwiches for dinner!

I think I'm going to be able to get about 10 batches of marinara out of the Brandywines and the Purples. I've kept them separated, because I wanted to note the differences in the sauces. I'm so excited!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Guess what I'm doing? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Bill! I kne...)
I have a new problem. How long will my juice last refrigerated last? To take advantage of free shipping, my mix won't be here until the 26th at the earliest.
Daphne