Momofuku's Bo Ssam
  Re: (...)
Just wanted to share a fantastic pork dish. My DSIL made David Chang's recipe for Momofuku's Bo Ssam Saturday. It was sooo good. This Korean pork is now my 2nd favorite way to have pork after Cuban Pork Roast. I'd never had it before and probably would not have attempted it, but it was actually quite simple. A dry rub is put on the bone-in Boston Butt overnight, then it cooks for about 6 hours and then it is rubbed again and broiled to finish.

He made both sauces to accompany it and I was afraid that they would be too hot for my taste, but I loved them both. We have some leftovers of everything but the ginger-scallion sauce (which is the most time consuming part of the dish) and so I got more ginger and scallions so I could make some to have with the leftovers (we still have enough of the chili sauce.)

I would be happy to post the recipe (appeared in the NY Times) in anyone would like it.
  Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by Cubangirl (Just wanted to share...)
I would love it - when you get a chance. Sounds wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by cjs (I would love it - wh...)
Same here!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by Gourmet_Mom (Same here!!...)
Ditto
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by DFen911 (Ditto [img]/ubbthrea...)
Yes, please, and thank you!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by Mare749 (Yes, please, and tha...)
Looking forward to this recipe

Thanks
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by mjkcooking (Looking forward to t...)
With the exception of the oysters, this sounds great, but they're only optional accompaniments, so I'll be able to skip them). I see that the NYT article says "adapted from..." so here are ALL the details from the original book (I have NOT tried to reformat this at all):

bo ssäm
SERVES 6 TO 8

pork butt
1 whole 8- to 10-pound bone-in Boston pork butt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
7 tablespoons light brown sugar

accompaniments
1 dozen oysters, shucked
1 cup Napa Cabbage Kimchi, plus 1 cup pureed
1 cup Ginger Scallion Sauce
Ssäm Sauce
2 cups Short-Grain Rice
3 to 4 heads Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, well washed, and spun dry
Maldon or other high-quality coarse sea salt

1. Put the pork shoulder in a roasting pan, ideally one that holds it snugly. Mix together the granulated sugar and 1 cup of the salt in a bowl, then rub the mixture into the meat; discard any excess salt-and-sugar mixture. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and put it into the fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
2. Heat the oven to 300°F. Remove the pork from the refrigerator and discard any juices that have accumulated. Put the pork in the oven and cook for 6 hours, basting with the rendered fat and pan juices every hour. The pork should be tender and yielding at this point—it should offer almost no resistance to the blade of a knife and you should be able to easily pull meat off the shoulder with a fork. Depending on your schedule, you can serve the pork right away or let it rest and mellow out at room temperature for up to an hour.
3. When ready to serve—sauces are made, oysters are ready to be shucked, lettuce is washed, etc.—turn the oven to 500°F.
4. Stir together the remaining 1 tablespoon salt and the brown sugar and rub the mixture all over the pork. Put it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sugar has melted into a crisp, sweet crust.
5. Serve the bo ssäm whole and hot, surrounded with the accompaniments.

ssäm sauce
MAKES 1 CUP
Ssämjang—a spicy fermented bean paste sold in Korean markets—is a traditional accompaniment to grilled meats. Ssämjang is like the love child of two Korean sauces: a mix of denjang (Korea’s funkier answer to Japanese miso) and kochujang, a spicy chile paste.
Anyway, rather than just thinning out the ssämjang with oil or water as is most commonly done, we’ve allied ssämjang with extra kochujang and added vinegar in the mix to bring up the acidity of the sauce.
1 tablespoon ssämjang (fermented bean and chile paste)
½ tablespoon kochujang (chile paste)
¼ cup sherry vinegar
¼ cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
Combine all the ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Ssäm sauce will keep in the fridge for weeks.

ginger scallion sauce
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
2½ cups thinly sliced scallions (greens and whites; from 1 to 2 large bunches)
¼ cup finely minced peeled fresh ginger
¼ cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
1½ teaspoons usukuchi (light soy sauce)
¾ teaspoon sherry vinegar
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
Mix together the scallions, ginger, oil, soy, vinegar, and salt in a bowl. Taste and check for salt, adding more if needed. Though it’s best after 15 or 20 minutes of sitting, ginger scallion sauce is good from the minute it’s stirred together up to a day or two in the fridge. Use as directed, or apply as needed.

napa cabbage kimchi (aka paechu kimchi)
MAKES 1 TO 1½ QUARTS
This is the kimchi we use most often in our cooking and in our restaurants.
1 small to medium head Napa cabbage, discolored or loose outer leaves discarded
2 tablespoons kosher or coarse sea salt
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
20 garlic cloves, minced
20 slices peeled fresh ginger, minced
½ cup kochukaru (Korean chile powder)
¼ cup fish sauce
¼ cup usukuchi (light soy sauce)
2 teaspoons jarred salted shrimp
½ cup 1-inch pieces scallions (greens and whites)
½ cup julienned carrots
1. Cut the cabbage lengthwise in half, then cut the halves crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces. Toss the cabbage with the salt and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Combine the garlic, ginger, kochukaru, fish sauce, soy sauce, shrimp, and remaining ½ cup sugar in a large bowl. If it is very thick, add water ⅓ cup at a time until the brine is just thicker than a creamy salad dressing but no longer a sludge. Stir in the scallions and carrots.
3. Drain the cabbage and add it to the brine. Cover and refrigerate. Though the kimchi will be tasty after 24 hours, it will be better in a week and at its prime in 2 weeks. It will still be good for another couple weeks after that, though it will grow incrementally stronger and funkier.

short-grain rice
MAKES 4 CUPS
Japanese short-grain white rice is the only rice we make. We, like all restaurants and many home cooks, use a rice cooker to prepare it—it’s just that much easier and more reliable than cooking rice on the stove. Here are directions for both methods.
2 cups short-grain white rice (sometimes labeled “sushi rice”)
2 cups water (if cooking on the stovetop)
1. Put the rice in a large bowl (or in the insert that fits into the rice cooker) and add enough water to submerge it by an inch. Use your fingers to stir the rice—stirring the rice like this will loosen the powdery rice starch from the grains and cloud the water. Tilt the bowl to drain the rice, using your hand to keep the rice from going down the drain with the water, and repeat until the rice no longer clouds the water.
2. If using a rice cooker, cook the rice according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If cooking on the stovetop, put the rice in a medium saucepan with a lid, add the water, cover the pan, and bring to a boil over mediumhigh heat. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the rice has absorbed all the water in the pot, about 20 minutes.
3. Regardless of whether you’ve cooked it on the stove or in a cooker, when the rice is ready, paddle it: we use a short, wide, wooden rice paddle to do so, but any wooden spoon will work. Just stir and fluff the rice, letting the steam escape, then let it sit for another 10 minutes with the lid of the pan or the cooker slightly ajar before serving.

shucking the oysters
1. Fold a kitchen towel over itself and use it to hold an oyster in your non–knife hand. Hold the oyster flat side up, cupped side down, with the hinge facing you. Alternatively, instead of holding it in your hand, hold it in place with the kitchen towel on a cutting board.
2. Think about it like popping the lock on a car with a coat hanger: you’re not roto-rooting the interior of the door, you just want to get it in and out and get the door open. Use the tip of the oyster knife to scrape away any mud still lodged in the hinge (at this and all points forward, remember that any time the oyster knife gets dirty, it must be wiped clean). Gently but firmly wriggle the oyster knife into the hinge. Use the tiniest bit of pressure to jimmy the knife in, and gently rock the knife back and forth until you feel the ligament pop and the oyster give up on staying closed.
3. Slide the knife into the oyster, keeping it absolutely flush with the flat inside of the top shell so you don’t puncture the oyster, and slide it along the right-hand edge of the shell to separate the oyster from the top shell. Some oysters are more firmly attached to life than others, and you may need to go around the left side or whatever, but stay flush against the top shell, and know that the adductor muscle you’re looking to sever is near the bill and right-hand side of the oyster. Twist off and discard the top shell, keeping the oyster level all the while so as not to spill out its liquor.
4. Wipe or rinse the oyster knife clean. Then, keeping the knife as flush as possible against the bottom shell, slide it underneath the oyster to loosen the adductor muscle holding it to the shell.
The oyster is now shucked, but your work is not done. Smell the oyster: it should smell clean and fresh and sweet; it should smell like the sea in an appetizing, elemental way. If it smells off or fishy or weird in any way, discard it. Every batch of oysters has some clunkers in it, no matter how fresh or expensive they are, and some have more than others. Better safe than sorry: bad oysters are bad news, and your nose knows which are what.
If the oyster passes the smell test, clean it. Some oysters shuck superclean and require little more than a cursory swabbing of their rim with a clean thumb. Sometimes the shucking leaves a few shell fragments floating in the liquor. If that’s the case, use your clean thumb or the tip of the clean oyster knife to fish them out. Occasionally, despite your best efforts, the oysters will have a lot of shell fragments or maybe even some mud in them. In those cases, use your (clean) thumb to rub out the dirt and shell, doing this under cold tap water, which will help with the process.
Once you’ve got the oyster shucked and cleaned, it’s ready to be garnished, if you’re garnishing, and served.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by labradors (With the exception o...)
The only difference I can see between the one above and the one we made was that the ssam sauce was doubled and I would double the ginger scallion sauce as well in the future. We did not do the oysters or kimchi (don't care much for either).

Instead of the oven at 500°F, we used the broiler (electric) on High. After the sugar caramelized, we did take it off the bone and use the fork to separate pieces to facilitate serving.

The Times recipe did not specify what kind of rice, so I made long grain white rice(which we prefer)in my usual way on top of the stove. It was perfect with it. We used Butter lettuce with the roots still on. We used the lettuce as the serving bowl, put in the pork, then the rice and added the two sauces, ssam first and the ginger next. Though it is meant to be handheld, the lettuce cups sometimes broke or overflowed and we had to use a fork. So for my second helping, I just put everything on the plate, cut the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and mix it and ate with a fork.
  Re: Re: Momofuku's Bo Ssam by Cubangirl (The only difference ...)
I still want to make ramen noodles by hand. His noodle recipe calls for a pasta machine, instead, but I'm hoping to be able to use it for hand pulling, if I can find the alkaline salts he uses.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?