A Phishing Warning!
  Re: (...)
I wanted to share this with you: I received a text message today "this is a free text msg from Directv" about my account. If I hadn't been tired and brain dead I wouldn't have responded - but I did to 855-736-0414. 855 is an area code that lets someone call you and put the charges on your phone. Luckily I hung up before the call registered. Directv doesn't use 855 numbers - doesn't text customers about their bills. Please be careful.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: A Phishing Warning! by Harborwitch (I wanted to share th...)
Thanks for the heads up. We are customers and I could have been suckered.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the heads...)
I was soooo tired and just rattled from the surprise day at work . . . I googled "area code 855" and knew it could be trouble. DTV did say that they'd deduct any charges for the call from my bill!
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Harborwitch (I was soooo tired an...)
It is a good idea not to call any numbers that comes to you via text message unless it is one you have in your contacts. If it appears to be from a bank or credit card, call the number on the back of the card instead. When you talk to an actual human being asked them if the number is valid. If it is, enter it in your contacts. I never respond to those kind of texts, emails or voice messages. If you actually receive the phone call do not press 1 (or whatever number) for more info unless you recognize the number. It takes a little longer to call the company directly, but it might save you lots of money in the end.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Cubangirl (It is a good idea no...)
Yep. No matter what, never call any numbers or visit any links that appear in emails. Instead, always type the web address of the company directly into your browser and either log in to see if there are any notices that would say the same thing as the email or go to the company's contact information and look for their phone number there.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by labradors (Yep. No matter what,...)
Luckily, my home number is bogus. I rarely answer it unless I recognize the number. We are considering letting it go and going totally wireless?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Gourmet_Mom (Luckily, my home num...)
I too never answer my home line. Furthermore, I've always listed it under my dog's name. That way I always knew if it was a bogus call. Since I've changed everything to my cell, I know it is only junk calls that come to my home line.
I did enroll all our numbers both land and cell in the do not call lists. I also don't give my phone number at stores when they sometimes ask.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Cubangirl (I too never answer m...)
Those are all great common sense ideas. I think I just had a major brain fart yesterday. What jacked me up the worst was the casual attitude the person at DTV handled it - I don't think he quite got what I was talking about. The gal at Verizon was great - and she was forwarding the information and numbers to their fraud prevention division.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Harborwitch (Those are all great ...)
I don't even open text messages. No one I know texts me so I figure they are all phishing. If someone needs me that badly, they can call me directly.
  Re: Re: A Phishing Warning! by Trixxee (I don't even open te...)
ditto, Trixxee!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com