80's Food
  Re: (...)
Do ya'll remember the 80's?? We're doing an event at the winery every Friday in August, with 80's themed food. I've been trying to dig thru boxes to find old 80's magazines. What do you folks remember eating??
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: 80's Food by Lorraine (Do ya'll remember th...)
I graduated from high school in 1980 and really didn't do much cooking or dining out until the late 80's so I'm trying to remember some things my mom made that were outside of the regular dinner stuff.

I remember the orange jello/tapioca pudding side dish. Must have had Cool Whip in it. I think it had mandarin oranges in it. It was really pretty - LOL! Had it at Easter a lot.

Definitely the 7 layer mexican dip.

I'm trying to remember the other salad she'd make for cookouts. It think it was layered as well, with lettuce, frozen peas, bacon bits, sometime of mayo mixture and miraculously it stayed crisp when you assembled it the night before. There may have been slice green pepper and celery in it?

I'll keep thinking and see if I can find something concrete.
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Trixxee (I graduated from hig...)
Here is a rendition of the seven layer lettuce salad. Apparently many things were made with 7 layers in the 80's.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/vegetab...30608c.htm
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Trixxee (Here is a rendition ...)
And here is the orange-tapioca salad recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/orange-tapioca-salad/
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Trixxee (And here is the oran...)
I remember making that seven layer salad in the 80's and everyone loved it! I used to assemble it in a 9x13 baking dish, cover it tightly, and the next day, it was easy to cut into squares. Trixxee is right, surprisingly it stayed crisp.

Also used to make taco salad a lot. The version I used was given to me by a friend. Basically, you brown ground beef, then drain on paper towels to blot up excess oil, then put in a bowl and chill. Make a salad with any kind of lettuce, but make sure you use at least some iceberg for crunch. Slice pepper rings, thin onion slices, small chunks of tomato and black olives. When you are ready to serve, put the ground meat on the salad, top with your choice of cheddar or jack cheese, and drizzle with a good amount of catalina dressing. Toss and serve immediately.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head that screams 80's, but since my girls were growing up during that time, I'll ask them if they remember something that really stands out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Mare749 (I remember making th...)
There was that Mexican Layer Dip, Mexican food of any kind hit around here about then. I think that was when Mom started making that Broccoli Salad? I think that's also when she started taking canned peaches, sprinkle with cinnamon, topped with a few mini marshmellows and bake until the marshmellows were toasted? I'll think on it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: 80's Food by Lorraine (Do ya'll remember th...)
I remember that Velveeta, pace Picante sauce and jimmy Dean sausage dip.

Brie was getting noticed a lot more.

When did the salami and cream cheese wrapped around a gurkin start? And the grape jelly, bbq, little hot dogs appy?

Pita pocket sandwiches. The quesadilla. Open faced sandwiches. Deep fried zucchini and mushrooms. Pudding pops (don't think they make these anymore).

That's all I remember.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: 80's Food by luvnit (I remember that Velv...)
80's??? Lets see I was newly single, I was working with an MD who was into nutrition so my recollections are fuzzy. I remember Long Island Iced Teas, Egg rolls, bar food. Lots of salads, chicken, and . . . . oatmeal/oatbran.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Harborwitch (80's??? Lets see I ...)
Bread round filled with sour cream/onion soup mix, puffs filled with tuna salad or egg salad, chicken parmesan (), lasagne, macaroni and cheese with hotdogs, brownies and chocolate chip cookies, deviled eggs.....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: 80's Food by Roxanne 21 (Bread round filled w...)
I am pretty sure that Jello shots came out then. But you will have to check with our resident Jello shot expert. Denise? Yoohoo! Denise?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura