Thank You, Laura
  Re: (...)
Whilst MS Laura was on her singular vacation, she and friends had fresh tuna canned and I was the recipient of 2 pints. The first one, I used in a dish and was so disappointed because there were so many flavors, couldn't appreciate the flavor of the tuna!

Last night, I made very simple tuna melts and the tuna was outstanding!

[Image: LaurasTunaMelt.jpg]

darn, what a waste of the first pint! Thanks so much, Laaura, we really enjoyed it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thank You, Laura by cjs (Whilst MS Laura was ...)
William would LOVE this one! What bread did you use? Nice crust on it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Thank You, Laura by cjs (Whilst MS Laura was ...)
I so miss getting free tuna to can!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thank You, Laura by Harborwitch (I so miss getting fr...)
Oh dear...one of favorite sandwiches. Now I'm hungry for one and not a stitch of food in this house

Oh Jean that is just cruel it looks so darn good!!
  Re: Re: Thank You, Laura by DFen911 (Oh dear...one of fav...)
Just curious: how does THAT "canned" tuna taste compared to store-bought canned tuna and compared to fresh, never-canned tuna? Is it the same as one or the other, sort of like one or the other. or entirely different (somewhere between never-canned fresh and store-bought canned)?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thank You, Laura by labradors (Just curious: how do...)
And more just curious - how did they can it and how long to process?
  Re: Re: Thank You, Laura by iBcookin (And more just curiou...)
Don't laugh, Daphne, but those are hot dog buns - all the bread I had in the house...

Labs, I guess the best answer is in between - it's canned, but it has such a nice freshness and solidness (a word?) to it.

I have never canned tuna myself and it's kind of sad - my old cooking buddy who died (OMG - 3 years ago YESTERDAY!) was going to can some with me when he got sick. I forgot to look at the calendar yesterday. So, now, I'm sure ready to do some also, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thank You, Laura by cjs (Don't laugh, Daphne,...)
It's odd, but even though I DO like FRESH tuna, even the smell of just opening any store-bought, canned tuna (packed in water, oil - it doesn't matter) completely turns my stomach - almost to the point of having to fight to keep any previous contents down. Thus, grilled tuna, broiled tuna, baked tuna, tuna sushi, etc. are fine, but I can't get near tuna melts, tuna salad, tuna casseroles or those horrible, horrible people who ruin perfectly good macaroni and cheese by poisoning it with canned tuna.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?