Pizza Stones
  Re: (...)
With all this pizza talk, I thought I'd get some advice.i love using one for bread and pizza. I have had three. The last two I had for only a short time before they broke in use. I remembered having one from Pampered Chef for a long time until William dropped it. When I went to look online, I may have answered the question of why the first two broke. I had the PC one before I got into serious bread and pizza making, so I wouldn't have had a reason to preheat it. No wonder it lasted. On the site it warns you not to.

Anyway, here are my questions:
Do you use one? If so, what kind?
Do you preheat yours? I thought that was the whole point, after all.

Old C2Cers may remember the guy who was the bread expert. I had him as an email buddy for a while when I first got started. He recommended one that I remember being about a hundred or more. He also told me about how to "make" one, but that came with warnings...something about getting the right kind of tile, I think, so you wouldn't poison your food?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pizza Stones by Gourmet_Mom (With all this pizza ...)
Sorry Daphne, I've had mine for so long I don't even know what kind it is anymore. But, there is a booklet for it somewhere, so I'll get back to you. No problems heating mine up ahead of time. It stays in my oven because I use it to heat up bread or rolls all the time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by Mare749 (Sorry Daphne, I've h...)
The second one I got, I left in there like that. It may have lasted a year. I did it with the second one, but it only lasted a month maybe?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by Gourmet_Mom (The second one I got...)
I don't use a stone, I use a huge cast iron round griddle for pizza and breads, but I do preheat with the oven. Works great. I loved the info from Pop the baker!!! He's up here near us, should look him up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pizza Stones by Gourmet_Mom (With all this pizza ...)
I wonder if Pampered Chef changed their stones. Mine is a pampered chef but old. Probably at least 15 years. I didn't use it for many years but I use it now and I preheat it. I do not leave it in the oven.

I remember when I got it, others who had one said that they left theirs in the oven. The darker it got, the better. It seems like many in the store are thinner than mine. I think they may just be making them with less quality.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by esgunn (I wonder if Pampered...)
I think you may be right, Erin.

Jean, that's a great idea! I'm off to check prices. Any idea on size? Biggest one that fits my oven?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by esgunn (I wonder if Pampered...)
For years and years I had a a Hearthkit. I really miss it but it wouldn't work in the microwave/convection oven we have in the motor home. I have a pizza stone - which will fit, but - like Jean I use a cast iron griddle. The biggest thing with pizza stones is to never get them wet, and to always preheat is what I've always been told.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by Harborwitch (For years and years ...)
They don't make those anymore, Sharon. I thought I'd compare the price. I doubt it would compare to THIS, though.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by Gourmet_Mom (They don't make thos...)
Always preheat, don't let them get wet - especially (as with any stone/ceramic) don't subject them to sudden temperatur changes. I imagine that a freshly made pizza on a pizza peel would be fine, but putting a frozen pizza (commercial or homemade) onto the stone could break it.

As for "making" one, you need to get natural quarry tile that has not been dyed, glazed or treated in any way.

Unfortunately, although I've done my homework/research, I haven't been able to find such a beast here. There's a LOT of tile available (the floors, here, are BEAUTIFUL!), but nothing that hasn't been treated.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pizza Stones by labradors (Always preheat, don'...)
Okay, now I'm confused. I found THIS ONE , also. But note the product feature. We use temps higher than 400. Sad, because I really liked the looks of this one better. Now I'm worried the other one would have temp limitations, also.

Off to do more research.

Research is dangerous. You are likely to find something like THIS. Oh my!
Daphne