What Is Adobo Seasoning?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I came across a chickpea salad recipe that uses adobo seasoning which I've never used before. Just what is adobo seasoning? I've seen various kinds, too.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: What Is Adobo Seasoning? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ca...)
Barbara, adobo is a Philippine seasoning - chiles, herbs and vinegar.

Adobo sauce is a Mexican sauce again made of chiles, herbs and vinegar. Chipotles are usually packed in adobo sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Is Adobo Seasoning? by cjs (Barbara, adobo is a ...)
Thanks Jean! I've used chiles in adobo sauce - pretty hot stuff, even for me. But in the Mexican/Latin foods section at Wegmans they have granular adobo seasoning. Would this be hot as well?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What Is Adobo Seasoning? by BarbaraS (Thanks Jean! I've u...)
I'm sure it would be, Barbara. How hot? Maybe a little hotter than medium? just guessing.

Here's an example of making your own and you can manipulate the amounts -
•1/4 cup sweet paprika
•3 tablespoons ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons onion powder
•2 tablespoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
•2 tablespoons ground cumin
•1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
•1 tablespoon garlic powder
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Is Adobo Seasoning? by cjs (I'm sure it would be...)
Unfortunately, there are several things that share the name "abodo," and that often leads to confusion.

In the Philippines, adobo is a cooking method, not necessarily a stand-alone seasoning mix. It refers to cooking the meat as a stew in vinegar.

In Spanish-speaking countries, in general, adobo is a marinade (that's what adobo means in Spanish) of vinegar with various spices used either to marinate or preserve foods. The sauce found in the canned chipotle peppers is one form of this, but the marinade used on meats would be vinegar with paprika, garlic and oregano (and be varied by the addition of other spices).

When "adobo seasoning" is specified, however, that refers to what Puerto Ricans would call adobo seco (dry adobo), which is a blend of the above spices without the vinegar and is used as a rub or seasoned salt. Just be careful with store-bought adobo, though, since they are often VERY salty (mostly salt, in fact, such as with Goya). It can vary greatly and may not even have the paprika typically used in Spain.

What Jean posted would be a good start. A Puerto Rican source I checked suggested, very generally, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and black pepper, while another (in a turkey recipe) said:
  • 2 Tbsp. achiote (annatto)
  • 4 Tbsp. Salt
  • 1 Tbsp. Ground black pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh thyme
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Ground oregano
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Ground cumin
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Chopped rosemary
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?