Pork Belly
  Re: (...)
I went down to my new favorite Asian supermarket today to pick up a beef tenderloin for tonights dinner (3.95 lbs for $19.71, $4.99 a pound) when I noticed that they have pork belly, I bought a small 1 1/2 pound slab. Now what do I do with it? I found a recipe online from Gordon Ramsey called pressed pork belly that looks delicious. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?
  Re: Pork Belly by losblanos1 (I went down to my ne...)
Blane, try Jean's Slow Roasted Belly of Pork with Hoisin Sauce. That's what I tried with the first pork belly I got and it was FANTASTIC!

One that I'd like to try, someday is Twice Cooked Pork Belly with Apple Slaw and Steamed Fragrant Rice - a recipe from a contestant on the 2011 season of MasterChef Australia.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by labradors (Blane, try Jean's [u...)
You are going to love it, Blane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by labradors (Blane, try Jean's [u...)
Oh another monster is being created!! time to get a smoker, Blane and make some bacon from pork belly!!!!!

I have some more that I like, but I'll have to do some later.......... have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by cjs (Oh another monster i...)
Just checked it out and I think Picky will actually eat this! Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by cjs (Oh another monster i...)
I discovered pork belly in Mexico at a restaurant called Café de Artistes in Puerto Vallarta. I really was pushing my boundaries when I ordered the pork belly salad with quail egg. Even I laugh at myself over that now. I'm learning.
Jean, I'm looking into getting a smoker.

[Image: IMG_2410.jpg]

This salad was so delicious, that's why I remembered the pork belly. That's the only time that I had it. This is back in 2009.
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by losblanos1 (I discovered pork be...)
Doesn't that look yummy! I can still remember everybody trying to convince me to add the raw egg into that Cajun Pasta dish a few years back. Then there was the sandwich with the poached egg...that took a little coaxing, too...LOL! Shoot, I just got over the medium rare tuna just today. I'm getting there, one little food hurdle at a time. And you're right! I laugh at myself every time!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by Gourmet_Mom (Doesn't that look yu...)
And, Jacques Pepin's pasta dish topped with an egg. to die for!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by cjs (And, Jacques Pepin's...)
The grounds super here is a delightful young man who is just discovering food! Last night we were discussing pork belly & bacon. He wants to help Bob and I with the bacon project. He loves to smoke and grill and grilled kabobs for us last night.

I have totally destroyed this kid's vision of food. Hates beets - LOVED the beet pizza. Ate sauteed beet greens with a goat cheese "crouton", two more foods he'd never even thought to eat. He's discovered much more variety in food. Saturday we're making a "Fattie"!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Belly by Harborwitch (The grounds super he...)
Not destroyed! You've educated his palate. That's a good thing!

Oh, the fattie is going to blow his mind! I'm scared to make it again....LOL! That thing can kill you with cholesterol..LOL! But it sure is good! Totally worth it!
Daphne