Last Tuesday - just had to share!
  Re: (...)
One of our long term RV'ers (working on a bio-diesel plant near here) came in on Thursday and asked Tonya if she could do a dinner for 15 on a night when the restaurant is closed (every night but Friday & Saturday:p) She told him to let her know by Sunday afternoon re: how many, date & time, and what they wanted to eat (she gave him a menu).

Well he came in on Monday afternoon - "tomorrow at 5:30". OK Tuesday we technically close at 4 but we have $2 tacos until 7:30. This usually attracts a crowd of about 20. Now about 3:00 Tuesday she gets an email - 16 people by name and what they want.
An example:
Charlie: A Chef's Salad, no dressing. Fish & Chips, no chips, no tartar sauce, malt vinegar on the side, no garlic bread. Steamed Broccoli.

(of course we don't have malt vinegar nor do we steam broccoli so he got green beans with bacon, onions, & peppers (cause that's easier than steaming a handfull of broccoli?).

We started the prep about 4. Three of our work campers came in to drink beer before going out to play golf. We got out the steaks, the chicken breasts and made sure we had just enough. We got the fish portioned, made the salads, and she had all the stuff for burgers and tacos ready. About 5:00 our taco crowd starts coming in. Tonya and her husband have the kitchen - I have the bar, the register, and the Pro-Shop.

We start serving the taco crowd warning them that we have a party of 16 coming in for dinner so things might slow down a bit. They understood that this meant that the grill and fryer were on so they started ordering other things too.

The 16 start coming in - drinks go out as they come in. Tonya greeted them when they were all seated, and then the fun began . . . there were a few extra people, and a bunch of them wanted to change their orders. GAaaaaaaack! Charlie wanted oil & vinegar on his Chef's salad. The guys who ordered fish and chips wanted steak dinners.

By the end of the evening we were wiped out. The tab was over $500 for the 18 people which was picked up the company they work for. I think they might have consumed the half keg of Heffeweizen. Charlie drank a little bit of everything (upgrading the cost as he went) - so much for health conscious Charlie. It was crazy and fun. Luckily Bob and 2 other work campers came in and helped us clean up! I used almost every glass in the bar!

Thought you'd all get a kick out of this.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Harborwitch (One of our long term...)
Sharon, that is HILARIOUS! At least you all seem to have had a good attitude about.. WOW! What a dinner ticket! I hope the tip matched the ticket! Nice company to work for!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, that is HILA...)
That is a HOOT!!!! You never know what the next party will bring....keeps you on your toes. Sounds as though you could sit back and laugh about it...good on ya!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, that is HILA...)
The best part of the whole evening was Charlie. Cracked me up.

There was a nice fat tip that'll be close to $30 for each of the 3 of us! Nice.
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Harborwitch (The best part of the...)
Are you sure you're not working at UNH Catering?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by pjcooks (Are you sure you're ...)
Hectic, but we love it. Good job all around.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by cjs (Hectic, but we love ...)
Thank you Jean. It was fun.
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Harborwitch (Thank you Jean. It w...)
They have no idea what a wrench that throws into plans, do they. That's when you just grit your teeth, remember that they are paying for it and SMILE. Hopefully, it means that they would consider doing it again - and when you think of it - it was on a night you would have had limited income, so basically, a bonus!
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by iBcookin (They have no idea wh...)
Well done, Sharon, sounds like a good time was had by all. You're right Linda, and if they have a good time (which they obviously did by the tips), chances are they'll be back.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Last Tuesday - just had to share! by Lorraine (Well done, Sharon, s...)
I would hope they'll be back, but many of them on on the construction crew and will be gone when the project is over. But we will hope for more projects that will bring them back. They really were a fun bunch.

Jean has seen the size of the kitchen - it's tiny, to feed that many people off the menu all at one time is impossible. We usually go with a buffet or a plated dinner.