Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce
  Re: (...)
DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS RECIPE??? I know it was a post from Sat, Jan 26 2006 (post #48127) I printed it but never made it. Now I have found it again and was wondering who posted it, but most importantly did anyone ever make this and were there any reviews?

This is from Robert Del Grande and will blow your mind. We make it for family and parties. Makes 16.
2 T peanut oil
1 2 oz pkg dried pasilla chilis, stemmed, seeded, torn into 1 inch pieces.
1/2 C whole blanched almonds, chopped
4 chicken breast halves
6 C chicken stock

1/2 t cumin seeds
4 plum tomatoes, cored, quartered
1/2 onion quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 T firmly packed golden brown sugar
1 t coarse salt

Peanut oil (for frying)
16 corn tortillas
2 1/2 C grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 C chopped onion

1 C creme fraiche or sour cream
1 avocado, peeled seeded, sliced
fresh cilantro sprigs

Heat 2 T oil in large pot over high heat. Add chilis and almonds. Saute until chilis darken and almonds are golden, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chilis and almonds to a bowl. Reduce heat to med. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to same pot and brown on all sides, about 5 min. Add stock and simmer until chicken is cooked thru, about 20 min. Transfer chicken to another bowl using slotted spoon;cool. Reserve stock in pot.

Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over med-low heat, about 1 min. Mince cumin seeds. Add cumin, chili mixture, tomatoes, quartered onion, garlic, sugar, and salt to stock. Simmer until all ingredients are very soft, about 45 min.

Working in batches, puree stock mixture in blender. Return to pot. Boil until reduced to 4 C., stirring occasionally, about 20 min. Season w/ salt and pepper. CAN BE MADE ONE DAY AHEAD. STORE CHICKEN SEPERATELY.

Remove skin from chicken and discard skin. Cut meat from bones and shred. Transfer to bowl and combine with 1/2 C sauce. Set filling aside.

Oil 2 13x9 inch baking dishes. Pour oil into deep skillet to depth of 1/2 inch and heat to 375. Fry tortillas 1 at the time until softened, about 5 seconds per side. Using metal spatula transfer to paper towels. Spread 1 T sauce over each tortilla.Sprinkle each with 2 T cheese and 1 T chopped onion. Place 1/3 C chicken down center of each tortilla. Roll up. Place seam side down in baking dishes. Can be made 1 hr or more ahead-cover.

Preheat oven to 350. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until heated thru, about 20 min. Top with creme fraiche, avocado, and cilantro. (If Julia is coming over leave off the cilantro). This is a big hit at our parties. It's not as tedious as it sounds, especially if you do ahead.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by luvnit ( [b]DOES ANYONE RECO...)
That was mine. I joined the forum in 12/05 and this was one of my earliest posts. We made this for Christmas open house in 2005 and cut into small pieces for a buffet. It is delicious!!! We gave it two stars.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Old Bay (That was mine. I jo...)
Searched ‘Robert Del Grande’ and found this great thread with one of his recipes from Bill – sounds wonderful!!

BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH COFFEE & COCOA COATING
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=3&vc=1

Not what you were looking for, but darn, sounds good, too!

Found it I think – it was Bill!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post48127

Oh good, Bill checked in!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Old Bay (That was mine. I jo...)
Thanks Bill! So is that 2 out of 3 stars then? Or what is the scale you use?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura