Pizza Bread
  Re: (...)
The other day we had lunch with our nephew and his wife from Colorado (really had a great time) and since they, especially Davie, are great and adventurous cooks, we talked food! One idea he mentioned was making pizza bread – 1 layer of very (~1/32”) thin dough topped with goat cheese; then another layer of dough topped with herbs and Parmesan.

Played with this yesterday and while it was really tasty, I’m going to have to call him and see how he handles the top dough layer – what a pain in the butt to place it over. But, my first problem was the only pizza dough I have in the freezer is the ‘unmanageable’ Neapolitan dough.

I really didn't get the edges thin enough - here with the first layer and goat cheese
[Image: DaviesPizzaBreadAug20.jpg]

then topped with the 2nd layer of dough and herbs(basil, mint, oregano, rosemary), and the Parm
[Image: DaviesPizzaBread2.jpg]

Puffed up more than I'd wanted (even with docking)
[Image: DaviesPizzaBread4.jpg]

Drizzled with a little reduced Balsamic
[Image: DaviesPizzaBread6.jpg]

[Image: DaviesPizzaBread5.jpg]

Overall, I'd like to play with this more - I think it would be great with a bowl of Minestrone on a cold wintry night. And maybe, yes Daphne, some pine nuts added to the first layer??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pizza Bread by cjs (The other day we had...)
Wow! That looks really, really yummy! You are right, great for soup dipping. Why is the Neapolitan dough 'unmanageable'?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by luvnit (Wow! That looks real...)
Laura, it is one of the softest doughs I've ever made.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by cjs (Laura, it is one of ...)
Ohhh... Well it looks just beautiful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by luvnit (Ohhh... Well it look...)
It really does. Now I want to try that. Jean, do you think that it makes that much difference that you used two thin pieces of dough? How is it different than if you had just put everything on one slightly thicker round of dough?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by Mare749 (It really does. Now ...)
I only tried this because our nephew mentioned this is how he did it. I must admit it's kind of a conversation starter - you don't expect the cheesy flavor when you bite into it - SURPRISE!

It could be done any way in the world.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by cjs (I only tried this be...)
Jean, do you think you will continue to use the Neopolitan pizza dough for this? After making the Neo dough, I don't think I ever want to make anything else!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by Mare749 (Jean, do you think y...)
No, I'll continue using it for pizza, but I need a sturdier dough - I'll try with my old standby, Herb dough. It can do anything!!

I think what I like the best about this idea is the surprise you can pull off with whatever cheese or ??? you put on the first layer that isn't seen. I like that.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by cjs (No, I'll continue us...)
Jean, it's scary! You read my mind....LOL! I will most assuredly be putting pine nuts on mine. And yes, the herb dough can do ANYTHING! It's Super Dough!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizza Bread by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, it's scary! Y...)
Yes, it is scary....you're wierd.
www.achefsjourney.com