Q. for fans of Meyer lemons
  Re: (...)
You guys rave about Meyer lemons all the time, so when I saw this:

[Image: mlcc.jpg]

in a local store, it caught my eye.

As someone who has never had Meyer lemons and who has never made cakes or cupcakes from a boxed mix, I'm wondering what you all think. Is this something that would be any good and would it truly be representative of the taste of Meyer lemons?

Amazon has only two reviews for it and they aren't exactly flattering. To be fair, though, the nature of the reviews also make me wonder if the reviewers really did follow the instructions correctly (I've seen such reviews, before, where people have claimed to have followed directions but whose comments obviously showed they had not done so).

One other note: I don't know what a typical store-based price for this would be, but the local store's price is HALF what that Amazon retailer is charging and things like this are usually more, here, than they would be in the States.

Your thoughts?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by labradors (You guys rave about ...)
Labs---I'm jealous that you would have that product there---even if a little dubious with the critriques.

No Meyer's here either but I bet one of those lemon recipes in the other thread would be AWESOME...local lemons are GREAT!!!

Lemons are lemons RIGHT??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by Roxanne 21 (Labs---I'm jealous t...)
Quote:

Lemons are lemons RIGHT??

Except when lemons are limes, as we have here. I'll tell you, though, these "limones" (which turned out to be Persian limes) are not at all as tart as the limes in the States. They have a wonderful flavour and no seeds (well, extremely small seeds, just as seedless oranges would have). They also REALLY pack in the juice and even if you happen to get one the size of a golf ball, you can just about take a shower with it. Of course, that means I make some incredibly awesome "lemonade" with them.

It probably would be better for me to stay with a scratch recipe and these "lemons," rather than using that boxed mix, but I've just heard everyone here say such wonderful things about Meyer lemons that the box COULD be worth a try.
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No! Lemons are Lemons - not correct. Meyer lemons are so unique.

Labs, I certainly would try it - as someone who always had meyer lemon trees in California, I'd sure be tempted to order this and give it a try....in fact, I may go do that right now.

I'm with you - nothing irritates me more than to have someone review a recipe and then disclose they didn't even have the decency to try the recipe the way it is written!!!
(one of my soapboxes!!)

----

$14.00 - well maybe not....i could have real Meyer lemons sent to me for that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by cjs (No! Lemons are Lemon...)
That's why I was surprised that the price was half that here.

HERE is a place with a better price ($8.01). Apparently, it's also available in BJ's, but I don't know if you have BJ's stores in your area (AFAIK, BJ's is an east-coast thing).
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by labradors (That's why I was sur...)
No, we don't have BJs here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by cjs (No! Lemons are Lemon...)
Labs, I would be tempted to try the box mix if you can buy it at a reasonable price locally. However, I would also look for a "use by" date on the product, just to make sure it's not expired, which would affect the quality.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by Mare749 (Labs, I would be tem...)
I always check that, but things are usually quite fresh here - even things that are imported that way. Surprisingly, it's the local milk that can be sour BEFORE its expiration date.

Oh, and the price at this import store was only $6.58.
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by labradors (I always check that,...)
I love Meyer Lemons, just don't see them very often here. Is it just me, or does the price seem a bit steep? OTTH, it comes with frosting.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Q. for fans of Meyer lemons by Lorraine (I love Meyer Lemons,...)
DH likes Meyer lemons for lemonade and we can get them reasonably at Costco during their season. I love limes and oranges, so I am not sure why I was not impressed with Meyers. I used them in a recipe that I loved with regular and it was blander with the Meyer lemons. I however, did not find them to be lemony enough for me. Then again I grew up always using limes instead of lemons (which to make it confusing are called limones and are usually translated incorrectly as lemons.)