Leftover Pizza Dough Ideas
  Re: (...)
We had some leftover last week, some had been grilled on both sides, some was still raw. The cooked ones he put in a slow oven to heat, then topped with a various things, maple syrup or blueberry syrup and fresh berries, butter and maple /cinnamon sugar. They made great desserts, and very easy. The raw dough I formed into 4 inch boules, let them rise and double in size. When baked, I let them dry at room temperature for a day, cubed them, and used them in Panzanella Salad. Much better than using bought bread. I turned the leftover Panzanella into a savoury bread pudding. Sure got a lot of mileage out of that dough!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Leftover Pizza Dough Ideas by Lorraine (We had some leftover...)
good ideas, Lorraine and what a great thread to have going with all us pizza maker lovers!!!

I will add to this about toppings -
I don't make huge pizzas; I make 6 to 8 oz. size so we can eat the whole thing at one sitting. So, I often have toppings leftover.

The Fennel pizza we had last Sunday, I'm using with pasta today - fennel, caramelized onions, sausage and I'll add some pine nuts, crushed red pepper flakes (maybe, but the turkety sausage I made is quite spicy on its own) and maybe some clams.

What else can we use the dough and toppings for??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Leftover Pizza Dough Ideas by cjs (good ideas, Lorraine...)
I'm going to add this - what a great dinner it was and so fast and easy. Making the entire amounts of topping ingredients, I could have gotten three dishes out of them. 1 - pizza, 1 - penne, and 1 - ??????????????

I don't know if I post my latest (and most favorite) turkey sausage, but here it is again along with the toppings for pizza and penne dishes.

Spicy Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
First made 7/26/12 – so very good and spicy

4 1/4 lb ground turkey
3/4 lb bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Heaping tablespoon fennel seed
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
Heaping teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs cold water
4 1/4 lb ground turkey
3/4 lb bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Heaping tablespoon fennel seed
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
Heaping teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs cold water
--------------------------
Casings, medium hog or not (I prefer bulk sausage)

1. Combine the turkey, bacon, and remaining ingredients except water in a large bowl. Grind through a 3/8-inch plate. Moisten with the water and mix until well blended.

2. If using casings, stuff and tie at 5-inch intervals.

3. If leaving for bulk sausage, divide into amounts that work for your family.

Source
Source: Adapted from Hot Links and Country Flavors, Bruce Aidells and S. Kelly.

Author Notes
This is spicy hot and doesn't taste like other bland turkey sausage I've tried
------------------------------
Fennel-and-Sweet-Onion Pizza with Green Olives

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 fennel bulb, cut into 8 wedges
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Pernod
1 cup chicken stock
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 very large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 lb shredded Trugole or fresh Asiago cheese
8 large pitted green Sicilian olives, coarsely chopped
Basil leaves, for garnish

2. MEANWHILE MAKE THE TOPPINGS In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the fennel and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the wine and Pernod. Return the pan to moderate heat and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock to the skillet. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, turning the fennel once, until very tender and the liquid is nearly evaporated, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the fennel to a cutting board and coarsely chop it.

3. Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring once or twice, until softened, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until the onion is caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet to prevent scorching.

4. Preheat the oven to 500°. Preheat a pizza stone as close to the oven bottom as possible for 20 minutes. Punch down the dough and divide it into 4 balls. Set the balls on an oiled baking sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes.

5. On a floured surface, roll or stretch one dough ball to a 10-inch round. Set the round on a floured pizza peel, shaking it gently so it doesn’t stick. Brush the edge of the dough with oil. Add one-fourth of the cheese, followed by one-fourth each of the braised fennel, caramelized onion and olives. Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake until bubbling on top and the crust is deeply golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a cutting board, sprinkle with basil and cut into wedges. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

And, since I made the entire recipe I had wonderful leftovers for the Spicy Sausage and Fennel Penne. Man, this was tasty.

I only added 1/2 cup marinara/pizza sauce, 1 cup beef stock and let cook down a little as the water was heating for the penne.
Garnished with toasted pine nuts and shredded Parmesan.

[Image: LOFennelOnionSausagePastaSept5.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Leftover Pizza Dough Ideas by cjs (I'm going to add thi...)
Great ideas here! I'm glad you started this thread, Lorraine!

I can't really think of anything to add at this moment except for using the l/o dough to make small calzones.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."