Living Cookbook issues
  Re: (...)
I have avoided posting a negative review regarding Living Cookbook in the hopes that someone from customer service would help me resolve an issue that I have had since Friday night, when my program decided not to open anymore.

A very nice lady by the name of Paige tried to help me on Friday night, with no luck. Being a holiday weekend, no one was in the office again until Tuesday morning and no one on the forum was able to help with this particular problem. Yesterday morning, I received a message from Geoff, which was a standard form letter response that is used on the forum and was no help. I responded to his email and told him that I once again tried a re-install, with no success and sent him the error messages. No response yesterday.

It is now noon on Wednesday and I still do not have use of Living Cookbook or access to any of my recipes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Living Cookbook issues by Mare749 (I have avoided posti...)
This is the pits, Maryann....hmmmmm, and you are so much more computer savy than I - makes me wonder.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by cjs (This is the pits, Ma...)
Well, my story has a happy ending at last. After spending countless hours since last Friday, and uninstalling and re-installing this program numerous times, I finally was successful in opening it and restoring my backup.

I am happy and relieved to have access to my cookbooks again, but extremely disappointed in the customer service and tech support. For this reason, I am going to reinstall MasterCook on my computer and restore my cookbooks for that program so that I have access to my recipes if this should happen again.
Maryann

Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by Mare749 (Well, my story has a...)
I am so glad I still have mine - Master Cook. I think I'll continue to use L.C. as just an added program because I think after I master it, I'll be able to convert it to a book easier.....at least that's my plan!

What a relief for you!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by cjs (I am so glad I still...)
Glad you got it up and running. Kind of poor customer service though.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by cjs (I am so glad I still...)
Maryann, I feel really guilty and bad about the problems you had since I recommended the program. I've installed and reinstalled the program many times without problems (due to other computer issues not LC's)

I seem to remember you are running XP and my guess that where the problem stems, XP was extremely glitchy. I only ran 2008 when I had XP and did have minor issues, but they all got resolved with 2011 in Windows 7 (had Vista in between, hated it, but had not problems either).

You did get caught in the Holiday Weekend. Paige Potter is part of LC. It is a family run company with Lee as the programmer, Geoff to help with customer service, Tracy (Lee's wife) does the books. I am not sure how Paige fits in, she might be the developer working on the iPad app.

Please don't give up on LC, it really runs well on up to date operating systems, so if you ever update, MC will not work at all. Microsoft has ended support for XP, so there will be no more security patches etc., so it will not get better. Some old hardware won't support Windows 7 or 8, so you may not have a choice.
  Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by Cubangirl (Maryann, I feel real...)
Thank you, Alina, for your kind message. You are right, it was unfortunate that I got caught on a holiday weekend. However, I did realize that, so knew that I probably wasn't going to get any help until Tuesday.

What annoyed me about the whole thing was that I was dealing with Paige initially, and she turned it over to Geoff, who answered my email on Tuesday, then sent my messages back to Paige who won't be back until tomorrow! Then, he left the office and I never heard a word again until this morning.

To his credit, he did send me a letter of apology, so I removed my pissed-off thread from their forum.

Yes, I will be purchasing a new computer by the end of the year, but wanted to be experienced with LC before then, so that it would be a smooth transition. I still love the program, but can't help but be a bit nervous that this ever happened in the first place. I was worried that it had something to do with the latest update which was 3.0.34, because that was when the trouble actually started.

Oh well, it's all good now.
Maryann

Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by Mare749 (Thank you, Alina, fo...)
I beta tested 2011 and have up dated every time a new came out, up to and including the last one without problems. My guess is that there will be an update by the end of the year along with the iPad app. I think they been purposefully not patching to do it all at once and make sure it will work with the new iPhone/iPad IOS expected out at the end of this month.

Geoff is in the office Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays but usually checks from home on the the other weekdays. Paige comes in to do coding over the weekend and will check the forum and try to help. Lee used to pop in occasionally as well, but I am sure he's swamped now.

The problem you had has occurred before with XP and I imagine they sent you detailed instructions on uninstalling to clean out the system before reinstalling. I did not want to give those instructions because I was afraid I'd miss a step.

BTW, they have tested the current version with Windows 8 and it works fine in case that is what you are getting with your new computer. I am going to buy the upgrade to 8 since it is cheap ($40.00), not sure I'll install it right away. I am going to be going to Boston for a month in November and want to avoid problems, so I'll probably wait until I return.

Anyway, I am glad you are up and running with it. I still have 2008 installed and at first exported new important recipes from 2011 back to 2008 as a precaution. Then I realized that I do have a complete backup on my desktop and that was overkill, so I stopped. I am really anal about doing the maintenance repair items, compacting and doing backups though.
  Re: Re: Living Cookbook issues by Cubangirl (I beta tested 2011 a...)
Yes, they did send me detailed instructions on how to clear everything out, then re-install the program. Problem was it just didn't want to work. Finally, on my fourth attempt, I must have done something right because it started working again. I'm acquiring quite a file with "how to" instructions.

Boston in November? Really? Brrrr....
Maryann