What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

Lot of baking to do today, so don't know what we'll have that is fast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
If I can get to the store in the next hour or so, I'd like to make a pot roast in the crockpot (cream of mushroom soup/onion soup mix), with mashed potatoes and peas.

I'm just waiting for my first ever attempt at the 18 hour bread to finish up in the oven.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by Trixxee (If I can get to the ...)
Trixxee, that's too funny! Exactly what I'm making for dinner! Ron just loves that and I invited my dad over because there is nothing better than a good pot roast and homemade bread, in his opinion.

Good luck with the bread. I'm going to play with mine now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by Trixxee (If I can get to the ...)
I've been following the saga, Trixxee - I think you will be amazed at how easy it is for you!!!

Well, freezer diving paid off today - we're going to have Snow Crab Leg clusters with a crab louis salad (sans the crab...) I go back and forth on dressings for this salad, so I did make up thousand isl and the louis dressing both to test side by side.

We'll just put some bibs on and dig into the crab legs!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by cjs (I've been following ...)
The bread turned out great (and I swear it could not have been any easier). The whole thing couldn't have cost more than 50 cents. Nice.

Now this is funny Maryann - now I'm not making the pot roast as it was $4.99/lb (and I have two in the freezer that I bought for half that so the roast will have to wait until next week) This is the funny part- I called Tony from the store and said we're going to have to come up with Plan B. I guess he had been looking at the Cuisine for Two book and he said how about this bbq glazed meatloaf and smashed potatoes?

I will remember your notes for it in the other thread this afternoon.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by Trixxee (The bread turned out...)
I hope you like it! We thought it was really tasty.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by Mare749 (I hope you like it! ...)
Mmmmm... pot roast and meatloaf, classic comfort foods, and Jean, you had me at crab legs, that sounds so perfect for a day like today.

From the new Cuisine for Two; Caprese Steak Stacks with sides of Apple-Cabbage Slaw and asparagus. I'm also cooking some chicken tortilla soup for my wife to take on her ladies retreat this weekend.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by Mare749 (I hope you like it! ...)
There is just something wrong with this picture.... I'm busy baking 200+ miniature tarts for tomorrow, so this a.m. I'm thinking what can I throw together for a quick and easy mid-day dinner......
[Image: SnowCrabLegswgreensalad.jpg]

Snow Crab Leg clusters with a Crab(less) Louis salad. Oh my, did we pig out!!!!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by cjs (There is just someth...)
What's wrong with the pic? It looks lovely and doesn't expand my screen with a horizontal bar. What a beautiful pic! There's a salad...

But wait, only one cluster of crab claws... ? Where's the melted butter... ? Weapons of Mass Crab Destruction?? The fifty steamed clammies on the side... Who needs a salad.. ?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 9/6?? by BarbaraS (What's wrong with th...)
I finally am home, not tutoring, and not too tired to post....we had an old family favorite--sauteed steak with garlic, white wine, and rosemary. I know it sounds weird, but it really works. I served it with brown rice pilaf out of a box and roasted asparagus.