Pizzas from Friday Night
  Re: (...)
The fellow, Tom, who made the pizzas for the pick up party Friday night offered a couple of really off the wall ideas that were wonderful!! Well, admittedly, I didn't have them hot from the oven, but they were still really tasty.

The most interesting one was made with Chocolate Pork Stroganoff with rye crust (fired roasted veggies, swt. potatoes and mushtrooms) Tom said he just used a stroganoff sauce. Delicious. I got the recipe for the pork he used off the Epicurious website - dying to try it) matched with the Cab Franc

The vegetarian: fresh grilled zukes, patty pans and a wood sorrel pesto with a white sauce. Matched wtih Chardonnay

The Margherita was just that and very good. Matched with the Merlot, not the best pairing, but not bad.

Thai pizza: a spicy sauce using coconut milk, topped with fresh peas(in pod), carrots, shrimp, basil.

He did a great job. It was funny the year before (exactly) I was the one doing the pizza party and I just couldn't help thinking and comparing the differences and the sameness. A couple times I thought, "I would have done that differently...." But, that didn't last long, we got to talking and comparing out loud and any envy disappeared. To tell the truth, I had alreadly decided I never wanted to work that hard again, but still........... In the end, both of us had done a great job and a lot of the guests asked if I had done the pizzas again and how much they had enjoyed mine last year. (that went a long way to get me over the hump! ) Pretty sad, huh?

We're off to Oregon tomorrow, so as soon as we're back, I'm going to play with the Thai and the Chocolate Pork.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by cjs (The fellow, Tom, who...)
Oh the Thai sounds right up my alley!
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by Trixxee (Oh the Thai sounds r...)
Chocolate and pork? Trying to wrap my brain around that one.

The Thai and the veggie sound good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by Gourmet_Mom (Chocolate and pork? ...)
Quote:

Chocolate and pork? Trying to wrap my brain around that one.

Try not to think about Hershey bars or other sweets. Instead, think mole or think of venison or wild boar. Chocolate, cocoa, coffee, etc. are more common with meat than people realise.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
True, hadn't thought about it that way. I've used it with beef. I guess the pork part threw me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by Gourmet_Mom (True, hadn't thought...)
Yes, exactly - think mole.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by cjs (Yes, exactly - think...)
Jean,

Which Epicurious recipe was it? I know the whole thing, exactly as he didn't isn't on there, but you said the pork part of it was (presumably adding chocolate to a basic Stroganoff preparation and using that with the pork).
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by labradors (Jean,[br][br]Which E...)
There were two recipes I found googling for Cocoa/Chocolate pork - I copied both and thought I'd just play with it.

Cocoa and Spice Slow-Roasted Pork with Onions
Bon Appétit | December 2007 by Michael Chiarello

this one is from CD kitchen -
Chocolate Pork Chops
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/37...9530.shtml
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizzas from Friday Night by cjs (There were two recip...)
Okay. Thanks.