Subsitute
  Re: (...)
In the April 2012 issue of Cuisine at Home there is a recipe entitled Egg Foo Young and I don't have any cottage cheese to make this and I was wondering what would be a good substitute?
  Re: Subsitute by MrsDiMaCo (In the April 2012 is...)
Hi MrsD, and welcome to the forum! I just looked that recipe up because I was going to suggest eggs, but there are already six eggs in it. I'm afraid the only sub I can think of is ricotta. There just isn't anything else that has the same body and texture, so to sub another type of cheese would completely change the recipe.

Maybe one of the others on the forum will come on soon and have a better answer for you, so stick around. And thanks for bringing this up, now I want to make it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Subsitute by Mare749 (Hi MrsD, and welcome...)
I agree ricotta would be great. And welcome to the boards! Don't be a stranger. Come back and let us know how the recipe came out
  Re: Re: Subsitute by DFen911 (I agree ricotta woul...)
I'm curious about this recipe now (and I don't have this issue). I was looking around at other Egg Foo Yong recipes to see if I could find some information to help you but I didn't see a single other recipe with cottage cheese in it.

But now I want some Egg Foo Youg. This guy's looks pretty good.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/01/egg-foo-young.html

But yes please - come back and let us know how it turns out if you make it.
  Re: Re: Subsitute by Trixxee (I'm curious about th...)
Trixxee, if you want the one from Cuisine, I can post it for you.
Maryann

Re: Re: Subsitute by Mare749 (Trixxee, if you want...)
Are you sure Maryann? I know it's a pain. Thank you!!!
  Re: Re: Subsitute by Trixxee (Are you sure Maryann...)
Hi and Welcome

I haven't seen the recipe - but I would leave it out if its not a lot
I have never seen a egg foo young with Cheese of any type. - Maybe add more
meat or bean sprouts.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Subsitute by mjkcooking (Hi and Welcome[br]...)
No problem at all, Trixxee. I wanted to put it into Living Cookbook anyway. In the picture it looks like they are wrapped around a couple of scallions. Also note that you can use just about any type of vegetable leftovers. Here you go:

Egg Foo Yung

2/3 cup small curd cottage cheese (6 oz.)
6 whole eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped fresh mung bean sprouts
3/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbs. minced scallions
2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
salt and pepper
canola oil

1. Mash cottage cheese in a bowl. Stir in eggs, bean sprouts, celery, Parmesan, scallions and soy sauce; season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium-low; brush with oil. Scoop 2 Tbsp. batter onto griddle and cook until light brown, 2-3 minutes per side; repeat with remaining batter. Garnish pancakes with scallions; serve with soy sauce.

Yield: about 20 pancakes

Cooking Times
Total Time: 30 minutes

Source
Author: Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue 92, April 2012
Maryann

Re: Re: Subsitute by Mare749 (No problem at all, T...)
Welcome to the forum, MrsDiMaCo!

Especially since it calls for small-curd, not large-curd cottage cheese, Ricotta wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

If you have a Latino community near you, you could look for cuajada (their equivalent of cottage cheese) or requesón (their equivalent of Ricotta).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Subsitute by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Also all fashioned farmer's cheese would work, as would some Mexican cheeses and silken tofu I think. I have subbed cottage and Mexican for farmers, so I know that works, and the silken tofu for cottage and ricotta.