Single burner question.
  Re: (...)
Ok so my stove will hopefully be in place in about 2-3 weeks. Yep still cooking on a camp stove, can't BBQ much as I can't get down to my patio on my crutches.

Anyways my stove is an old 1934 stove with 4 small burners. They are great for everyday cooking, but they will not hold my big water baths or giant stock pots.

Do any of you use a single, say electric or propane, burner and if so what kind? My water bathes are 21" in diameter.

I have a few but the seem small. So any advice or experiences would be wonderful. Thanks!!
  Re: Single burner question. by DFen911 (Ok so my stove will ...)
I don't understand. Are you needing this info because of your temporary situation, or is your limitation for large pots a permanent problem?

Either way, I have a similar problem. I have a large stockpot that I use several times a year that doesn't work on my cooktop. One example is a clambake with all the kids and friends. What I do is take the grill apart so that I am left with two huge burners exposed and cook on that like i'm cooking on a gas stove. I just set that big pot on those burners and cook away.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by Gourmet_Mom (I don't understand. ...)
Depending upon the exact configuration of your stove, sometimes it helps to have place very large pots over two of the burners (both on) as the same time. I've had some luck with that in a couple of places - electric and gas. Have you tried that?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by labradors (Depending upon the e...)
I've done as Labs has over the years, Denise. I used to have a single burner portable that I used for catering, but I didn't use it for anything like a canning kettle or large stock pot - don't know how it would have hworked for that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by cjs (I've done as Labs ha...)
I can't use the 2 burner idea as my stove has a lid that lifts up to expose the burners. This lid has sides and an overhang. So tall pots don't fit under it. So I need a free standing burner for my big pots.

And don't want an induction one because my pots wouldn't make a good connection. That's why I figured an electric coil one would probably work. Was hoping someone here had one they loved and could recommend
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by DFen911 (I can't use the 2 bu...)
I've been looking at butane/propane burners. I'd like to get a one or two burner to go outside so I can do some cooking when we have company outside.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by Harborwitch (I've been looking at...)
Wait, my solution wouldn't work because of not being able to get to the patio. Sorry, I got carried away. We have a propane burner like the ones for turkey fryers that we use at the camp. But I think that has to be used outside?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by Gourmet_Mom (Wait, my solution wo...)
Yeah also, while my BBQ has one of those, I'm sure it could support the weight of a 22 quart stock pan, along with, when the rain season hits that will be no bueno
  Re: Re: Single burner question. by DFen911 (Yeah also, while my ...)
The single-burner butane stoves that come in a little, plastic carrying case and that restaurants use for table-side service work beautifully (and get VERY hot VERY quickly).

You're right, though: they probably wouldn't be able to handle that size of a stock pot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?