Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans
  Re: (...)
The challengers on Beat the Chefs made this on the latest episode. Sounds good to me. Even the pecans sound good (and I don't usually like pecans), although I may substitute cashews. Probably going to try this next week, some time.

Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Pecans
Yield: 6-8 servings / Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Ingredients:
For the spiced pecans:
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Adobo
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Cups Pecans
For the potatoes
  • 2 Cups Heavy whipping cream
  • 2-3 Heaping Tablespoons chipotle pepper puree (from can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce)
  • 4 Medium Sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 1/8 inch thick
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
For the spiced pecans:
  1. Combine butter, spices and adobo in a 7-inch saucepan.
  2. Sauté for 1 minute.
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Add sugar and pecans.
  5. Stir until pecans are coated.
  6. Spread on parchment or wax paper to cool.
  7. Coarsely chop pecans when cool.
For the potatoes:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Puree adobo sauce together with one or two chipotle peppers in the smaller inset bowl.
  3. Whisk together cream and chipotle puree until smooth.
  4. In a 9×9-inch casserole dish with a glass lid, arrange the potatoes in even layers.
  5. Drizzle with 1/3 of the cream mixture.
  6. Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cream, and salt and pepper.
  8. Cover.
  9. Bake for 30 minutes.
  10. Remove cover.
  11. Continue baking for 30 minutes.
  12. Remove from oven.
  13. Sprinkle spiced pecans over top.
  14. Return to oven.
  15. Continue baking for 15 to 30 minutes or until the cream has been absorbed and the potatoes are cooked through and the top is browned.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by labradors (The challengers on [...)
This sounds heavenly - and very fallish! Thanks Labs.
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by Trixxee (This sounds heavenly...)
Yum! Thanks for posting this, Labs!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by Mare749 (Yum! Thanks for post...)
Well, if I'd seen this before this past weekend, I would have made it. But just saw the pictures from the Pig BBQ and I'm so heavy I don't even want to look at myself.

Back to healthy eating until the end of November.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by labradors (The challengers on [...)
I'm sorry Labs, I don't like sweet potatoes in anything but a pie.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by Old Bay (I'm sorry Labs, I do...)
Quote:

I'm sorry Labs, I don't like sweet potatoes in anything but a pie.

No problem. Actually, although I liked the old, standard, "candied yams" at Thanksgiving when I was a kid, they were never my favourite thing. It has taken savoury recipes such as this, the Spicy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, sweet-potato fries and sweet-potato chips to get me to like them more.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm looking forward to trying this one! Thanks, Labs!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by Gourmet_Mom (I'm looking forward ...)
Thank you, Labs, right up my ally! Copied and printed!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes w/ Spiced Pecans by pjcooks (Thank you, Labs, rig...)
Interesting recipe, Labs, THANKS!!! Peter is going to visit Wendy in Scottsdale in a couple of weeks sooo I will have him bring some chipotles with adobo sauce on his return. Sweet potatoes are really healthy and this may be an interesting twist......hopefully!!! Printed!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Saw anon looking at this and I forgot all about this recipe. Bookmarked it now for this fall.