What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone?

I'm thawing a half of chicken and ground beef, so whichever is ready first will be dinner....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Trying these tonight, along with hashbrowns. This is a C@H recipe.

http://noblepig.com/2011/01/chicken-appl...age-boats/
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by Trixxee (Trying these tonight...)
We're going to grill some strip steaks and I'm making this to go with it. I have a few lonely tomatoes left that finally ripened and two nice eggplants.

Cold Eggplant Tower (Torre Fredda Di Melanzane)from
"The Silver Spoon"

1 lb. 5 oz. eggplants, cut into 1/4" slices
olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
4 country style bread slices, crusts removed
12 oz. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
salt and pepper

1. Place the eggplant slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let drain for about 30 minutes. Preheat the broiler. Rinse the eggplant slices, pat dry, brush with oil and broil until golden brown on both sides.

2. Lightly toast the bread on both sides and place in a deep serving dish.

3. Arrange a layer of eggplant slices on top and season with salt and pepper. Top with a layer of mozzarella, sprinkle with scallion and basil leaves, season with salt and pepper, then make a layer of tomato slices and season with salt and pepper.

4. Continue making layers until all the ingredients are used. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with a few more basil leaves.

5. Let stand for 15 minutes, then serve.

Servings: 4
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by Mare749 (We're going to grill...)
I've got a lonely eggplant I brought with us and haven't used yet....that sounds good, Maryann and I have everything except the fresh basil.

Well, decided to go with C@H's Cuisine Tonight Grilling book again for dinner - Cowboy Steak (except I'm using a burger patty) sandwich. It has a nice corn, red onion, chile relish with it. and cantaloupe and avocado salad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by cjs (I've got a lonely eg...)
That sounds delicious, Jean. I'm impressed with how creative you can be while traveling.

I've been reading "The Silver Spoon" off and on for a while now and have tried a number of recipes. What I really like about it is it's simplicity. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves Italian cooking.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by cjs (I've got a lonely eg...)
Leftover meatballs and pasta (the ones from last week or so that I froze) and a pear salad. Another nightmare week but I needed something simple---how easy is that???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by Roxanne 21 (Leftover meatballs a...)
Roxanne, are the landscapers done and your area is spic and span and ready for someone to snap it up????? (yes, I hope)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by cjs (Roxanne, are the lan...)
Tonight will be the Hot Wing Wraps I didn't make last night. All I need to do is mix the dressing and cook the chicken.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by Gourmet_Mom (Tonight will be the ...)
Split pea and sausage (kielbasa) soup with fresh bread and Caesar salad!

Oh and an Oktoberfest-ish beer
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs, 9/20?? by luvnit (Split pea and sausag...)
I was planning on the Chicken Cutlets with Almond Butter Sauce (your fault, Trixxee!!), but when I got home I realized that I had thawed thighs, not breasts, and didn't think they would work as well.

Instead I cooked another C@H recipe...Quick Chicken Marengo from #83. I served it with the boxed brown rice pilaf I had planned on. The suggested polenta might have been better, but regardless, it was delicious.