Beware of this week's inadvisable tip!
  Re: (...)
Normally, I look forward to the tips that come with the weekly free recipes from Cuisine at Home: they are usually simple ideas that can save time and/or just make things easier in the kitchen.

This week's tip, however, COULD make people sick.

The tip suggests checking to see whether a casserole is done by sticking a knife into it and seeing if if "feels hot" when you take it out.

Certainly, if the tip of the knife is cold, the casserole needs to be cooked more, but what, exactly, does it mean for the knife to "feel hot"?

By this test, most people would probably take the casserole out of the oven BEFORE if has reached the proper internal temperature of 165°F - maybe even before it passes the 140°F upper end of the Danger Zone (40°F - 140°F, where bacteria can thrive).

If you are going to be sticking a knife into the casserole, anyway, get an inexpensive instant-read thermometer and stick THAT into the casserole, instead, making sure the internal temperature of the casserole is 165°F no matter where you test it.

Here's more information from the USDA:
Quote:

Casseroles and other combination dishes must be cooked to 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. These dishes are traditionally composed of cooked foods and then heated to combine flavors. Pathogenic bacteria could survive, however, if the meat or poultry component of a casserole was merely "browned" and the casserole was not subsequently heated thoroughly, especially if the dish was assembled in advance and refrigerated. Only by using a food thermometer could a consumer be sure it had been heated to a safe temperature.

(Source: USDA: Doneness vs. Safety)

Also see FoodSafety.gov: Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by labradors (Normally, I look for...)
I completely agree with you, Labs. Instant read themometers are inexpensive and worth every penny.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by Mare749 (I completely agree w...)
I love my instant read thermometer! Especially when it comes to egg and poultry dishes.
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by DFen911 (I love my instant re...)
Instant read thermometers are my soapbox in my books now - I try to stress how important they are to a cook.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by cjs (Instant read thermom...)
I use my thermopen religiously!!!! A bit pricey but sure well worth it!!! One of my best friends in the kitchen
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by cjs (Instant read thermom...)
Quote:

Instant read thermometers are my soapbox in my books now - I try to stress how important they are to a cook.

Hmmm...next lesson for Katie. Thanks, Jean. And good stocking stuffers for H & H.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh yes, Maryann - what a great little stocking stuffer!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by cjs (Oh yes, Maryann - wh...)
I totally agree with you Labs!!!!!!! 100%

Although I do make most casseroles with completely cooked ingredients in the first place. I still think a thermometer is a much better way of handling this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Beware of this week's inadvisable tip! by luvnit (I totally agree with...)
Totally agree---"feel" has nothing to do with "done". Thermometers are the "gold" standard!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".