Black Pepper Ice Cream
  Re: (...)
Still working with old recipes and found this one from Margritte posted on C2C and I even found the thread - it was funny!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Pepper Ice Cream

3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups sugar
12 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
1 pinch salt

1. In heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1 cup of the sugar and bring to a simmer (do not boil).

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.

3. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add a little to the egg yolk mixture to warm it, whisking constantly to keep the yolks from curdling. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture, whisking the milk constantly as you pour.

4. Return the custard to the stove and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens
enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes.

5. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Stir in the crushed peppercorns and the salt. Chill the custard until it's thoroughly cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.

6. Strain again and freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Source : Pepper Passion
Margritte posted this june 19,'07 on C2C

Description:
"This unusual ice cream works because the pepper cuts through the richness of the cream, and it's sharpness and slight heat give it a lot of sophistication."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This was when we were making all kinds of ice cream, Sharon and Lorraine had FINALLY bought an ice cream maker. Remember the Pink peppercorn ice cream??

-----
P.S. Might as well add this one I just found from Paulie!
Caramel Ice Cream – Paulie posted this 5/27/03

1 cup plus 3 1/2 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup water
3 cups 35% cream
5 large egg yolks

Cook 1 cup sugar in a dry, deep 2-quart heavy saucepan over mod. heat, stirring slowly with a fork until melted and golden pale. Cook caramel, without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden. Carefully add water (will splatter) and cook, stirring, until caramel is dissolved. Add 2 cups cream and bring to simmer.

Whisk together yolks and remaining 3 1/2 tbsp. sugar until blended. Add hot caramel in a slow stream, whisking, and transfer to a clean heavy saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring with wooden spoon, until custard coats back of a spoon (or 170F), about 10 minutes (do not let boil). Pour custard immed. through a fine sieve into a bowl and stir in remaining cup of cream. Chill, covered, until cold. (or chill in bain marie).

Put in ice cream maker and freeze until hardened.

"Paulie: My fave ice cream is a caramel ice cream I pulled from Gourmet a few years back...it is KILLER good (and simple):" I paired this up with a dessert 4 years ago and I could not keep up with making the ice cream (most of the cooks would eat it!).

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Black Pepper Ice Cream by cjs (Still working with o...)
Now this sounds interesting. I'll add it to favorites. That needs to be the first thing I do next summer...go through Favorites List.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Black Pepper Ice Cream by cjs (Still working with o...)
Both sound really good Jean!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Black Pepper Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Both sound really go...)
Especially the caramel! Thank you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Black Pepper Ice Cream by Mare749 (Especially the caram...)
I've been wanting something caramel for one of my small plates entree, so Paulie's will fill the bill I'm thinking. Glad I found it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Black Pepper Ice Cream by cjs (I've been wanting so...)
Another weird sounding recipe that I am sure will be incredible----printed and will try.....THANX!!

CARAMEL????? DID you say CARAMEL???? DONE!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy