VOT- posting pictures
  Re: (...)
To my FaceBook friends....check out the YouTube video named "Potential Dangers of Posting Pictures Online". I knew there were some dangers, but not this! I got this from a online class I'm having to take about teaching students to be more responsible and the challenges of Digital Literacy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: VOT- posting pictures by Gourmet_Mom (To my FaceBook frien...)
Yeah. I remember posting about this (and recommending a solution) in THIS thread, where Bill told about the break-in at his home last year.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by labradors (Yeah. I remember po...)
You know at the time I read that, I had none of those things and understood very little of what you said. This made it clear, and now I get your post. Thanks for linking that here so I'll have the information together so I can take care of this later.

BTW, if I turn off my wifi on my phone or pad, will it prevent the location from being tagged to a photo I take? Even so, I have locked down my FB page so that only friends can see ANYTHING! I didn't realize how much I had left open to everybody. OIY! I assumed that the general setting of friends only covered it all. NOT! I dug deeper into the settings and discovered how open I really was.
Daphne
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by Gourmet_Mom (You know at the time...)
In order to prevent geotagging, you must turn off the GPS (if your device allows this). Otherwise, that program I mentioned in the other thread will strip out the geotag information so it won't be there for anyone to read.
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by labradors (In order to prevent ...)
Daph, and Rob, on the iPad I think all you have to do is close the location services for FB and other apps that are public/social.
You can do this for your photo stream as well, is that good enuff, Rob, or am I mistaken? (I often am )
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by farnfam (Daph, and Rob, on th...)
Not sure about the iPad, Cis, but geotagging is something that is INSIDE the photograph file, not just something relating to FB or other social networks. Therefore, if you turn off FB's location services, that may just remove FB's [/i]notification[/i] of the source of the picture. From there, someone could still save the picture to a computer and then read the geotag information that's embedded within it.

For example, in the "gadgets" thread, Jean posted a picture of her graters. It did NOT contain any location information (not sure that that camera has GPS, anyway), but here's the information it did have:
Code:
Code:
--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------[br]Tag                 |Value[br]--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------[br]Image Description   |                               [br]Manufacturer        |Canon[br]Model               |Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS[br]Orientation         |top - left[br]x-Resolution        |72.00[br]y-Resolution        |180.00[br]Resolution Unit     |Inch[br]Software            |Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery14.0.8081.709[br]Date and Time       |2012:09:25 13:06:36[br]YCbCr Positioning   |centered[br]Compression         |JPEG compression[br]x-Resolution        |180.00[br]y-Resolution        |180.00[br]Resolution Unit     |Inch[br]Exposure Time       |1/50 sec.[br]FNumber             |f/2.7[br]ISO Speed Ratings   |800[br]Exif Version        |Unknown Exif Version[br]Date and Time (origi|2012:09:25 01:59:05[br]Date and Time (digit|2012:09:25 01:59:05[br]Components Configura|Y Cb Cr -[br]Shutter speed       |5.64 EV (1/49 sec.)[br]Aperture            |2.87 EV (f/2.7)[br]Exposure Bias       |0.00 EV[br]Maximum Aperture Val|2.87 EV (f/2.7)[br]Metering Mode       |Pattern[br]Flash               |Flash did not fire, auto mode[br]Focal Length        |4.3 mm[br]User Comment        |[br]FlashPixVersion     |FlashPix Version 1.0[br]Color Space         |Internal error (unknown value 65535)[br]PixelXDimension     |3843[br]PixelYDimension     |2881[br]Focal Plane x-Resolu|18962.96[br]Focal Plane y-Resolu|18989.01[br]Focal Plane Resoluti|Inch[br]Sensing Method      |One-chip color area sensor[br]File Source         |DSC[br]Custom Rendered     |Normal process[br]Exposure Mode       |Auto exposure[br]White Balance       |Auto white balance[br]Digital Zoom Ratio  |1.00[br]Scene Capture Type  |Standard[br]Image Unique ID     |6551B925762A48158E1D6D469390D9EB[br]--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, there are no latitude or longitude coordinates. This is exactly what you DO want (hurray, Jean!). The rest of the information would only be of interest to geeks and shutterbugs - not to criminals, so there's no cause for any worry.

I'm NOT so sure that only turning off the iPad's social-network-related location notifications would omit the latitude and longitude from uploaded photos.
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by labradors (Not sure about the i...)
The thing I'm happiest about with this is that nobody can access my pictures on FB anymore. I didn't realize they could, or that they could find me because my photos had tags that gave my location. Now to check Photobucket. I think that one is wide open, too. OIY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by Gourmet_Mom (The thing I'm happie...)
You're kidding, my picture said all that? geez.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by cjs (You're kidding, my p...)
In addition to the link from the other thread, for the program to remove geotagging information from photos, you can use THIS program to view the information (if any) contained within the photos. (If you're a Linux user, try the "exif" command from a command-line prompt to get a plain-text version as I posted above.)
  Re: Re: VOT- posting pictures by labradors (In addition to the l...)
Thanks for posting this, Daphne. Like you, I have restrictions on my FB page, but never realized the danger in geotags.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."