Grilling vs. oven
  Re: (...)
I am going to make the calzones from issue 94 in a couple of days---probably Friday. I do not have an outdoor grill (SECRET SANTA??? ) because I find it so much more convenient in my kitchen--reach and it is there (okay, lame excuse.) I have oven grilled many recipes before (with conventional heat a bit higher and then grill for a few minutes at the end of cooking time) but not a pizza type dish. I have a pizza stone and am assuming that I can follow the directions as stated in the recipe. Do I need a higher heat in a regular oven set-up? Any assistance will be most appreciated.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Grilling vs. oven by Roxanne 21 (I am going to make t...)
Roxanne, you may be in luck with these. I made a note of Blane's note on the calzones when he made them -

"I have to thank you for your earlier comments on the recipe Karyn. I remember you had issues with the bottoms burning, so I put my pizza stone over two burners on medium-low flame, left the center burner unlit and had two burners on the other side of the grill at high flame, Kind of an indirect heating method. I let the grill warm up to 400 degrees and baked them for about 12 minutes. My wife who's not a huge fan of calzones loved these. I know I will be using the grill from now on for pizza, calzones etc... "

So, baking this in the oven set to 400°F. on a lower rack for about 12 minutes should be a perfect way to make them. I have not done these particular calzones, but that's how I would do them (when it's raining). good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilling vs. oven by cjs (Roxanne, you may be ...)
Last time I made them, I cooked them in the oven. I heated it to 425, if I remember correctly, and I think it may have taken a little more time than 12 minutes to get to a nice golden brown.

I guess I missed Blane's tips about how to do it on the grill, so I'm glad you re-posted it Jean. I'll have to make them again soon and try it his way. We love those calzones!
  Re: Re: Grilling vs. oven by karyn (Last time I made the...)
Thanks for the follow up I will try these in the oven at 425 on a pre-heated pizza stone......will give my review if I make them soon-----MUCH happening for the next few days
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy